Stihl trimmer question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrcreole, Aug 31, 2002.

1. mrcreole

mrcreole LawnSite Member

Just got my first Stihl 85r today. Have always run echo in the past and I've got a little question. On the Stihl when the clutch engages there is an audible "cling" sound. Is this normal? None of my echos make this sound.

2. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same trimmer and the same noise.. the dealer said it was the octane of the gas, but it is 93. The noise is more noticable when it is cold, but it is always there...

3. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have one that has been doing it for two years so I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Same trimmer here, same sound.... runs great, clutch has good warranty, and dealer here is excellent, so I don't worry.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

hahahahaha, sorry. While I was reading it made me laugh. When I bought my 1st one I went back to the dealer for the same thing.

Its the metal clutches your hearing. Its very normal.

6. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think stihl needs to patent that noise. Sign of long life and quality. After a while you get used to it and it becomes music to your ears.

Scot

7. Plowguy99

Plowguy99 LawnSite Member
    from MI

FS 85, 6 years old, same noise, still runs perfect.

8. Kirk Kempen

Kirk Kempen LawnSite Member

Stihl uses metal clutch shoes against a metal clutch drum, while everyone else uses lined clutch shoes against a metal drum.

The advantage of the Stilh clutch is that it has a longer life. The disadvantage is the noise it makes while engaging.