Stihl Trimmer Shaft

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnservicefreak22, Jan 8, 2011.

1. lawnservicefreak22

lawnservicefreak22 LawnSite Member

I just bought a new Stihl FS90R. On the shaft behind the handle there is a black cover about 4-5 inches long that covers the shaft. What is that for?
    Thanks

2. lawnservicefreak22

lawnservicefreak22 LawnSite Member

Leave it to the germans to over-engineer the exterior of the shaft...

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's only to prevent the handle from being slid any further back on the handle. I usually have my handle about another inch further down. Most trimmers have a sticker with a line on it where you aren't suppsed to have the handle further back than the line... If you use the trimmer as a brush cutter I think the figure it's better to have your hand holds further apart to prevent actually hitting your self with the blade. My edger has one too...

4. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

It prevents static electrically from building up and shocking you.

5. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

Hahah i have cut every single one of them off on my stihls. Im pretty positive they dont do anything

6. LL Lawn

LL Lawn LawnSite Member

I've been in the business for 9 yrs and my guys are reliable and do great work, but are real rough with the equipment. I have a full time job in addition to the lawn business, so not being present has led to premature equipment wear.

I've switched from Echo to Stihl fs70 2 cycle 2 years ago and am very pleased with the performance. However, I am considering switching to a different Stihl line trimmer and want to know how much additional maintenance and durability to expect from a rx100 or 4 mix engine.

I want to up the engine displacement to 31cc (100RX or larger) but am afraid to switch to the 4 mix. My guys want me to get the 250 w 40cc engine, but I don't think it's necessary for 16/18 residential lawns cut per day. I would only consider the 250 for durability.

I am looking for reliability with low maintenance and high durability.

Your insight is greatly appreciated.
    Edit/Delete Message

7. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

I use it for a handle when not actually trimming. It can be balanced perfectly with most attachments by being able to slide a little each way.