Stihl trimmer to hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bryan Wilson, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Bryan Wilson

Bryan Wilson LawnSite Member

Currently run a Sthil stringtrimmer (FS85R). Found out that I can remove trimmer head and attach an articulating hedge trimmer.

Does anyone run this set-up?
    How do you rate it?
  2. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

I have it and I love it!! Much easier to handle than my dedicated stihl trimmer. I have the straight shaft hedge trimmer and Its worth every penny.
  3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindaiwa - YEahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  4. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

when only the best will do STIHL
  5. willie1227

willie1227 LawnSite Member

Can one of you Stihl guys tell me what the difference is in the KM 85 kombi system vs getting one of the FS series that has interchangeable head tools. I suspect the shaft is different but dont know. Im interested in a multi tool. I have a good redmax trimmer already and their muti tool is a little high in price. I want one for a hedger and edger. I hear the argument about solid shaft equipment but when I look in the new Stihl catalog it looks like the FS series is a cable as well. Can someone please educate me!

Thanks, Willie
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The Kombi system is for the "split boom" type set-up by the looks of it on their website ( ),. The others are just heads that go on the power units. However, it DOES say that these will fit on like the FS85, so I'm not sure. Myself, I bought the FS85 stickedger, and bought the broom attachment with it. I now have a great tool that serves me throughout the whole season. My extended hedge trimmer is a dedicated unit, and is not as long as the entire trimmer power unit would be. I think a whole unit, with a pivoting head at the end would be a bit heavy and cumbersome.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have the SPLIT SHAFT and its very fast to change the attachments. I'm getting the new broom today and the new edger tomorrow.
  8. willie1227

willie1227 LawnSite Member

Do you guys know anything about the life cycle of the Stihl split shaft. I want a solid shaft but I think that is unlikely with any of these new multi tool units. How do you guys feel these stack up as far as wear and tear?
  9. Stewart

Stewart LawnSite Member

10. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

I have a FS85RT and used it hard for the past 3years and it works the same as the day I bought it... Not much wear or tear on it from removing and attaching the attachments