1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Palmer'sLS, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all, i am about to buy my very first commercial trimmer. I have heard very good things about stihl from family and friends, but i am wanting to hear how proffessionals think about them. I am looking at maybe the 110 model or something a little smaller. Currently i only cut around 15 lawns...but i am 16, so if any one can help thanks!
  2. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Great trimmer - you can't beat Stihl for power. Fewer RPMs than say a shindy or Toro, but it's high power. In other words Stihl has more torque per turn than Shindy, but shindy has more turns. I think the Stihl trimmer would be a great trimmer for you.
  3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Plamer,Take a look at the STIHL FS100RX it's a little lighter than the 110. But if your looking for pure power and the $ amount is not that much different then go for the 110.

Good luck

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

You should also look into Red Max trimmers, if you have a dealer near you. I was originally looking into a Stihl trimmer, when my dealer convinced me to try a Red Max trimmer. I tried it out and loved it so much, I bought one! I have had my Red Max BCZ2600S (26cc) trimmer for 2 years now with NO problems at all! It has all the power and torque in the world, I'd highly recommend Red Max equipment! :usflag:
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here the FS100 will save about 75 bucks over the 110.They both have the same engine,and power.The employee's like the 100 over the 110 due to it being noticeably lighter.The 100 will not have the capacity for attachments.For everyday trimming the 100 is very good trimmer.
  6. mr.glenn

mr.glenn LawnSite Member

i have slowly replaced all my equipment as it wears out or quits with new stihl equipment. i currently use as my main trimmer a used yard sale stihl fs-74. it was my first stihl 2 years ago and has never been in the repair shop. i will never use anything else! my echo edger is about to bite the dust and it also will be replaced with a stihl. currently have 2 stihl blowers, 2 stihl trimmers and 1 stihl hedge clipper and 1 stihl brushcutter.
  7. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

wow mrglenn, you are quite the fan huh?, thanks for the feed back looks like i will be buying the fs100!!!!
  8. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

I"ve been using nothing but stihl for 5 years, we cut around 40 yards a day and they rarely break down
  9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl makes an excellant product IMO. Very good luck with them.
  10. Blade-o-grass

Blade-o-grass LawnSite Member

I have a new stihl trimmer, and blower...they have both been in the shop since I have bought them for lack of power. I have probably used the trimmer only 15 times and even after I got it back from the shop it still is loosing power after it has been running over 15 min. so I am not to impressed so far.