Stihl trimmers and handheld blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vball2116, Mar 9, 2005.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone I have a question about some Stihl trimmers and handheld blowers. The products i am currently interested in are the BG 55 handheld blower and the FS 55 RC trimmer. I was wondering what the difference was between the FS 55 RC and the FS 80 R trimmer besides the power. Is it worth it to to upgrade to the FS 80 R trimmer because the prize is 70 bucks more so is it worth it in the long run? I only do a few lawns so is it really worth it to make that upgrade. I mean im only 16 so is that upgrade going to pay off because money is tight. Also, the only reason why i want the handheld blower is im only blowing off sidewalks and driveways. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The fs 55 is more of a home owner model, where as the fs 80 is a commercial trimmer. I have a fs55 and it does very good and is holding up good. I havent used any of the stihl handheld blowers

3. vball2116

Hey Thanks for the info..ill have to also ask the dealer what he recommends but thanks for the information.

4. Classic

Classic LawnSite Member

I wouldn't use Stihl's Homescaper units commercially if I were you!

I have had some major starting problems with Stihl equipment over the past couple of years as well.

You might want to give Red Max a try??

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Pay the extra $$$$ for the commercial grade equipment. You won't regret it.

6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Stihl FS55 and a Stihl FS 85 trimmer. They are both great trimmers. As others have said, the 55 is really more of a homeowners unit. You will be much happier with the FS80. The only huge difference between the two is power. But it is a HUGE difference. its definately worth the extra $70

I also have Stihl 55 and 85 handheld blowers. The 85 I bought is also a vacum, and it has tons of power for a handheld blower. The 55 does not have nearly the power, but it has not given me any troubles. Any of the Stihl blowers are great units. I would get the 85 because the difference in price between their different handheld blower models is not that great. Its worth it to me anyways.

7. vball2116

Hey guys thanks for the info. I am liking the FS 80 now compared to the homeowners unit. But I still think i will stick with the BG 55 just because i dont need a blower that much just to clean off driveways and sidewalks.

Thanks,
    Jeff

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd say spend the extra $ and get the FS 80. We have a FS 55 that has been a great trimmer. We have had it for about 4 years and it has been run hard for extended periods of time and its been an excellent trimmer even though its a homeowner machine. It still runs good now with a new carburetor and throttle cable but the gear box that drives the head is shot and it would cost more than the trimmer is worth. We also have 2 FS 85's that are wore out but have held up great considering how much they have been used. They have the same engine as the FS 80.