stihl trimmers...any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnandplow42, Mar 28, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys like Stihl weedwhackers? I've always been an echo fan, but recently i picked up a stihl. any good?... thanks-dave

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've used Stihl for many years with very few problems so I see no need to switch to something else. Some people will swear by another brand and bash Stihl stuff. You'll get a lot of different opinions about Stihl, Echo, Redmax, Shindaiwa...so you'll have plenty to think about before buying.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a stihl and its ok, I just prefer the robin trimmer cause it weighs about 3 pounds less at 8.5 pounds. I have a stihl trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, and back pack blower

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have Stihl and Echo trimmers. I really have grown to like the Stihl ones more and more, even though honestly I could still care less which one I use, the Echo's or the Stihl's. As far as blowers... after always using Echo's, I'm now a Redmax man!

5. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I used to use all Echo, they were always so reliable starting. IMO, the quality really started going down three or four years ago. We use about all stihl now, one crew really likes shin though.

6. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

as far as Trimmers go, Sthil is the best for routine maintence, also it the easiest to reload your line, i have had all kinds and sthil works best for me

7. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl 85 CC, it runs: pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer, brush blades, sting lines, rototiller, power broom and edger.

I like it. It is loud, and smelly, and has a fair bit of vibration.

I would buy another one if i needed something to power all of the above.

I recently bought a four stroke Husky however, and man that is a nice machine. Only use it for lawns, though they claim it can run blades as well. Conforms to EPA regulations to 2010. Very low noise. Very nice.

So I would recommend one of those if you are mainly just trimming with it.

Also, the four stroke Shin's are looking pretty nice as well.

-Reuben

8. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

The way I see it is this, Echo is sold at Home chepo with all home owner stuff. When have you seen a commercail walker or exmark sold there? Ill stick with my stihl!

9. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

All I own is Stihl. Of course, my dealer is only about 4 blocks away and he gives me a pretty healthy discount. I have no reason to go with anything else. My blower blows good, my edger edges really good, and my trimmers all trim.
    Anything commercial grade will work really well for you. Like anything, you just need to take care of it a little.

Regards.

10. razorman

razorman LawnSite Member

I have 3 Echo string trimmers and 2 blowers , this will be the 2nd year for them and I have had no trouble with any of them.