Stihl trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acgwinnett, Jul 10, 2007.

1. acgwinnett

acgwinnett LawnSite Member

Looking to buy a new Stihl trimmer, just wanted to see what model yall are running. I have all Echo now but I want to try a Stihl, I've heard good things about them. Thanks!!
  2. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

the fs80r is the tried and true model. i run redmax but is just my preference. Stihl make amazing products that run great the only reason i didnt go w/ stihl is because they can be heavy and im pretty skinny and i just dont have the dealer support in my area. PS: dont go with and 4 mix trimmers, stay with the 2 stroke:weightlifter:
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

My two favorite trimmers to date. first is the husky 326lx and the stihl fs110.
    ran echo for a while and didn't like it. redmax here is too much for what they offer.
    I think if you buy a quality commercial trimmer you won't be disapointed with any brand just prefer one over the other.
  4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love still trimmers i just have a problem with the carb build up. i know Shin doesnt have that problem. I own a fs250, 130, 85 and 85 extreme
  5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I also switched from redmax to stihl 4mixes. I personally like the fs90's. I am now running three fs90 trimmers, one 90 edger and a 600 blower. As my redmax's wear out I will continue to replace them with stihl.
  6. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

It depends just trimming the fs 100rx or trimming edging or hedge trimming the km110 they are both awesome
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Matt's running the FS110's, great trimmers. Before that he used the FS85's, I believe was the number.
    Strange, but we have never used ANYTHING besides Stihl equipment, since we been in business (9 years). Never had the need to try anything else, Stihl gets the job done.
  8. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

i use the fs80's and have no problems at all.
  9. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Run nothing but 110's.

No problems at all.
  10. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I run 2 FS90's, one with a bike-handle/sickle or blade for brush killing and a normal trimmer. Love that trimmer, it's just unstoppable. A buddy who got me into lawn care told me the 90 wouldn't hold up to heavy brush cutting, and so far he's had to replace parts on the head of his Shindy with a blade and mine's still kicking butt. Ran it for 3 hours straight today, wide open, knocking multiflora and high weeds down on my property, didn't phase it.

I also have an older 2-cycle FS45 that I got started on, I actually use it quite a bit even tho it's essentially a home-owner trimmer. It's super light, plenty of power. I keep telling myself I'll replace it when it breaks and I can't break it.