stihl v.s. johndeere trimmer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mr mow, Dec 18, 2005.

1. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

just curious what everyone thinks about the top of the line deere v.s. stihl trimmer. I have used a green machine in the past and loved it(johndeere bought out g.m.) any other suggestion and what people are using in your region and pros and cons would be helpful. thanks

2. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

I have always used Stihl. In my opinion they are the best. Find a dealer in your area that carries one of the top three (Stihl,Shindaiwa,Redmax) demo them and decide for yourself.

3. mr mow

you wouldnt even consider john deere/greenmachine?

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

no ! i want something actually made by whos name is on it. check the thread about the guy w/the john deere back pac that he couldnt get parts for from the dealer. get a husky or redmax if you want a good light trimmer.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I like echo myself, But it's just what ever a person flles confortable with.

6. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

Stihl, Redmax, Shidaiwa, Echo have proven theirselves for years. Why take a chance for something that says JD on it. Also the leaders will be much easier to resale and find parts.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

What was said about putting th ereal name on it is right on. Deere buys from whoever and sells under their name making for an inconsistent level of quality on 2 stoke stuff. I've been partial to Echo and Shindy in the past but it is really up to you. What feels balanced to you and is the dealer support good. Demo several models and brands and buy what you like rather than what they try and push. Good luck to ya. :waving:

8. BESTYARDS

BESTYARDS LawnSite Member

Who makes the John Deere trimmer? Do they manufacture it ? I doubt it. Echo has been good for me. It's light weight always starts and has plenty power.

9. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

whatever you decide to go with, make sure the dealer is close to your work. in case of emergency repair, you don't want to drive 30 miles to get it fixed. also, does your dealer want to get you in, fixed, and back on the road. i have changed brands over the years because i have found a dealer that gets me back on the road.

10. mr mow

I was quality control super. for the largest lawn mowing company in madison wisconsin for eleven yrs and now want to start my own. We always used greenmachines (i loved them)and i was in there the other day to plow some snow and noticed they swithed to all deere(later found out g.m. was bought out).The point of resale and parts is a good one i think i might have to go with a stihl then. thanks for the input.