1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Vac/Blower Almost Injured Me Today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PetalsandPines, Nov 8, 2002.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

I have always had positive experiences with Stihl Equipment, So I figured I would pick up a Bagger/Shredder Vac because my wonderful Echo is already wasting after the first year. 10 minutes into using my shiny new toy, I felt like i was shot in the leg. My leg was bleeding and I was standing there like "What the &%&??" Turns out that the vac picked up a stone and shot it through the plastic housing like a bullet. You must see this thing....Umm, do the engineers test this stuff in the field??? Anyone have this happen to you?

2. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if you have showed the dealer. If so, what did they do about it? Hope you are fine! Let us know if they replace it or whatever they do.
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

WOW, never know when somethings going to happen, guess thats why I always tell my wife I love her when I leave in the morning.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

wow. thank god you are alright. sounds to me like we may be hearing about a recal in a few months. if it happened to you, im sure its going to happen to others. unless maybe it was a weak plastic mold, and the rock hit the "sweet spot".
  5. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Will be taking it back Monday, However I am expecting the dumb comment like? Are you sure you didn't drop it? -We'll see
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

show them the cut on your arm if they think you dropped it. start rambling about suing lol. theyll smarten up.
  7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

in my experience stihl will stand by their product...i would predict warrenty covers it

thats pretty crazy, that even after hitting the housing the rock had the speed to draw blood, did you have shorts on? in buffalo in november?
  8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My God, now that's force! I have the Echo blower/vac. That will stick in my mind everytime I use it now. Hope your ok and your dealer takes care of you.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Damn! I guess be glad it was the leg and not above the shoulders! Scary.
  10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts exactly. Mention lawyer or law suit and they might be really nice to ya.