Stihl vacuum on handheld

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lasko's Lawn Service, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Lasko's Lawn Service

Lasko's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I'm going to purchase a stihl handheld and was wondering if you guys have had any experience with the vacuum feature....I haven't really seen the need for a vacuum for mulch beds and such, basically I just blow the leaves into the yards and mulch them....but am I missing something? The shredder vac seems to really reduce them, but is it more hassle than its worth...

2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Depending upon what type of mulch you are vacuuming from - this may not be such a good idea.
    The impeller that creates the suction jams when hard wood mulch is picked up by the unit.
    What my crews use the hand held vacuums for is removing accumulated behind a/c units, in corners, etc.
    These little vacuums works alright when not asked to do too much.

3. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

I used mine for the first time last wednesday. Worked great for picking up leaves accumulated into piles. I felt the reduction rate was great. It really chopped the leaves up small. However it is powerfull enough to pick up small pieces of mulch/ wood and it will jamb on them. Mine choked a couple of times when I caught a piece. Overall worked great for picking up leaves!

4. Springmeadows

Springmeadows LawnSite Senior Member

I use mine for cleaning out beds with leaves in them and also for some parking lot maintenance that I do. I have had it for years and use it often. It does pick up chunks of mulch and gag on them. I have always just let off the throttle and they fall out of the pick up tube.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I had one a few years back and it worked great. It was able to get the leaves in the areas that the blower couldn't move them from. It definately helps make the finished job look very nice.