Stihl vs Echo Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrblawncare, Mar 9, 2002.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Its time for a new hedge trimmers...I'am looking at 20 or 24 inch double-sided blades in either Echo or Stihl.My dealer states the stihl can be hard starting but is good trimmer,also sells 6 to 7 echos to 1 stihl.What do you think of the rotating rear handle available in both.....is it worth the extra cash?Thanks for your comments on both.JOHN

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have used various models made by both companies,but have now gone 100% Stihl for hedge trimmers. The Stihl units overall seem to have more power, better balance, and a higher cutterbar speed. They just seem to cut better and faster.:)

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Stihl's. They are awesome. The rotating handle is well worth the money. You will be using it all the time. They do not have a primer bulb so yes they do take some extra pulls. Usually by 4 or 5 pulls they are off to the races. Not like pulling them is hard anyway.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Stihl :D :D :D :D
    Johnny G. :cool: :cool:

5. TheLawnBoy

TheLawnBoy LawnSite Member

The stihl is a great machine. I have the FS85 with the articulating head attachment. It is fabulous. I looked at both the echo and stihl and settled on the stihl.

My only compliant would be the starting. Not so much as it is hard to start, but that the handle has come off in my hand. Not good. The starter cord just broke. Just plain broke. No signs of wear or anything. Fortunately it was near the end of the cord so I just tied the handle on again. Now the cord is a little shorter.

Another time the cord got tangled around itself inside the starter housing. Not sure how that happened.

Anyway I am getting pretty good at taking off the casing and fixing the starter. :mad: Other than that it has been a good tool.

I realize you are talking about a pure hedge trimmer and not a line trimmer with the attachment but i thought that this might help anyway.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I got rid of my Echo and bought a Stihl. The one thing that I hated most about the Echo was that the exhuast blew straight down. So, if your trimming at shoulder level, the exhuast would get all over your clothes as well as in your face. I've had no problems with my Stihl.

7. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I just picked up a Stihl HS80 with a double sided trim bar. Wonderful machine. It is powerful and very quick to work with. It can be a bit tough to start when it is cold but not bad. The rotating handle is a neat feature too.

8. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

FINE, I guess I'll be the odd ball. I use all Echo equipment, and have never had any problems. However I do agree the exaust does blow all over you in certain positions, but my wife loves the smell. I call it "Two Stroke Love!" Ha! Ha! Ha! I'm not knocking Stihl in fact I would probably look into them more if we had a better dealer. I have used the Echo hedge trimmers for three years now, and have never had any problems with them. I trim around 1600 shrubs a year. Anymore I think their both good machines, it just depends on the price and the dealer.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have the echo unit and dollar for dollar it is my most proffitable piece of equipment.

GEO

10. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have both and they real good !

Go with the best deal.