Stihl vs Echo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HB Lawn, Dec 12, 2005.

1. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

I do about 80 lawns weekly (mow,edge and blow only). I'm in the need for a new backpack blower. I'm looking at either the Echo 403 or the Stihl 380. Any thoughts about these two. I was looking at the Stihl 550, but thought that was overkill for the small lawns I do. :rolleyes:

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I personally run a redmax8000 bp blower and all stihl trimmers/edgers. IMO, stihl makes excellent products and I would go orange before gray.

3. uspw

uspw LawnSite Member

Totally agree. we run Redmax. Haven't tried the Stihl, but the word is they are pretty good.

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I run both Echo, AND Stihl, a PB4600, and an old BR320, which isnt great, but its plenty for residential lawns. if I needed high air flow, I'd get the br600, but I cant justify havin that much power just to clean a small sidewalk off.

5. CHRIS MELROSE

CHRIS MELROSE LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

Spend the extra $100 and go with the Br550....Better to have more power than not enough.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the BR420 it is a good unit and I don't know what the 380 has over it but the 420 is bullet proof. Don't get a heavy 4-mix unit unless you are going to push around a lot of wet leaves.

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I run with the Echo 403-T. Paid $130 for it 2 yrs ago used and I cant seem to kill it. I have 112 accounts todate. Maybe next yr it will become a backup (Maybe). Thinking of buying another used one on Ebay!! I have a bunch of Echo and Stihl products. Both have their place in this environment. I prefer my echo edger and weedeater do the lightness for everyday use. But I do come upon a one time cut once in awhile that needs the strength and brute pwr of my stihl's.
    Just my .02 cents
    Good Luck!!

8. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

i have an old stihl br320 also and its plenty for residentials...i'd go stihl

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

For blower, i run redmax, but, i love my stihl trimmer and wouldn't hessitate for second of getting another one

10. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i have a handheld Echo PB 200 and a PB 260L both have enough power for what i do, i have stihl trimmer and edger, i like Stihls system of the autocut head. Stihl builds good trimmers and good chain saws but i think Echo builds a better blower, wernt they the first ones to come up with the idea for the leaf blower, as i recall they made a backpack for applying pesticide with a gust of air in liquid form and landscapers in southern california took the applicators off and used them for clearing clippings after mowing