Stihl vs Echo

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WeeDr, Oct 31, 2007.

1. WeeDr

WeeDr LawnSite Member

Im trying to start buying equipment now to start in March on my landscape buisness. I'm intrested in your thoughts on the power equipment to buy, either echo or sthil, service is not a problem with either as I can take them to several different shops. Also what are your thoughts on Walk behinds, and ZTR, meaning what has the best cut if money is no object.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Come again please.

That, or ask the dealers those questions, thou I'd still recommend you consider re-phrasing all of that a bit.
    Perhaps it helps... What will you be doing?
  3. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I like my Emark lazer CT. I also looked at cub cadet tanks (M54 and M60) and those are really nice. I to am interested on know which is better to. Stihl or echo?
  4. terryenterprises

terryenterprises LawnSite Member
    Posts: 21 can show you their products. They dont sell mowers but they sell small engine equipment. Also Echo is a very good brand. Those are the only brands I can trust.
  5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

eXmark & Stihl is what I use.

6. Ron Marston

Ron Marston LawnSite Member
    from Maine

im starting in march to, im geting all stihl and a cub cudet enforcer48 with 5x8 traler
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If they're commercial grade neither Echo nor Stihl is better, that's why I was like huh?
    We're comparing apples and oranges, Echos tend to be torquier and they could last longer, but Stihl's have more raw rpm's so it could get the job done faster... Meanwhile Echo's throttle lever is a POS but then so is the Stihl handle :laugh:

I mean, six of one or a half of the other?

As for mowers, I'd look into getting a Wb at least 40" but not more than 48" wide, unless you just happen to have more money than sense I wouldn't be for acquiring a Ztr until you're well established (like 5th - 8th year)...
    And I myself prefer Toros, get a gear drive with a T-bar...
    OR get something else and spend extra for hydraulics.
    It's again that thing, one is a bit more economical, the other is a tee less hassle.
    Only thing to stay away from is pistol grip controlled gear drives.

Real quick edu:
    A gear drive = belt power.
    A pushmower = ANY 21" or alike machine, whether self-propelled or not.
    A wb (walk behind) = ANY of those larger commercial walk-behind units, whether they have a velke or not.
    A Ztr = Zero Turn RIDER (as in, sit down, on the machine itself).

Afaik ALL Ztr's are hydraulic, but if you should fine one that isn't keep walking :laugh:

Other notes:
    If money were no object I'd have a fleet of Aebi Terratracs, ride in a cabin with heat or a/c and am/fm/cd stereo, 4wd+4ws, has attachments for anything you could imagine (including finish cutters), they do run 80g bare thou.
  8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Stihl or Echo
    Ford or Chevy
    Exmark or Toro

It all boils down to ones personal preference. What I recommend may not be what somone else would recommend. Both are good machines and you'll be fine with either one.
  9. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Wells...I have used Stihl and Echo. The quality is about the same. It is about what feels right to you. The bad part is sometimes you find out after you buy one that you like the other better.
    I would not personally waste my time with Walk behinds unless money is an issue. They are good quality, but much slower than ZTR's...However they do have there place. Depends on what type of properties you will be servicing...
  10. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

What will last longer? Stihl or echo? Next season i have to buy new handhelds