Stihl vs. Echo

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jtruck618, Apr 13, 2010.

1. jtruck618

jtruck618 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a new trimmer and leaning toward the Stihl FS 55. However, there is an Echo dealer in my area as well. Both feel good but not sure which to get. I have a Stihl with curved shaft now but I want a straight shaft. So, can I go wrong with either. Any reason I should pick one over the other?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk LawnSite Member

I'm not a pro, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. My echo SRM-21 is about 15 years old and still runs like a top with very little maintenance ever been done on it.

3. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

I am in the same boat. Looking at Stihl vs. Echo. The only difference I can really see is that Stihls have bigger engines, and maybe a reputation of being heavier duty. Since the price is the same, I am leaning to Stihl.

4. RugerRedhawk

I think if you had to pick one to be the one with a reputation for being heavier duty, I think echo would be the one. Not saying the stihl isn't good though. For a homeowner I think either of them will last a lifetime.

5. whitenack

Interesting. I guess that goes to show how companies can have different reputations in different parts of the countries. With Echo sold in the big box stores and Stihl only available through dealers, the fact that Echos are smaller engine'd, and the fact that echos and stihls look almost identical, I'd say most folks in our area believe Echo is a low-cost option made by Stihl.

6. RugerRedhawk

Just another thing to think about, from what I can see the stihls have a 2 year consumer warranty while the echos have a 5 year. Not sure what entirely they cover, but thought I'd mention it. Really I think it's a Ford vs. Chevy type of thing for the most part. Maybe buy whichever one you can get from a dealer you like more.

7. fredmullegun

fredmullegun LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl uses a 4-mix engine so you cannot compare engine CC and think you are comparing horsepower. The engine echo use are stronger when CC is the same.

8. whitenack

Thanks for this info. I haven't heard this. Is there more info on this somewhere?

9. fredmullegun

fredmullegun LawnSite Senior Member

Well I just bought an Echo 280T which has a 3 cc smaller engine than the Poulan Pro it replaced. Guess which one has more power?

10. whitenack

The 'T' in Echo's product line stands for high torque. That may be where the extra power is coming from.

And, just to clarify, 4-mix isn't the same thing as 4-stroke, which would be less powerful than 2-stroke. All stihls are 4-mix, but still 2-stroke, right?