Stihl vs Echo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RTLAWN, Jul 28, 2004.

1. RTLAWN

RTLAWN LawnSite Member

:blob2: :angry : I am in need for string trimmers that will last and are easy on the guys. I bought 3 FS 80 PRO Stihl trimmers just last year and two of them need short blocks already. I am waiting for #3 to blow. I though't I bought good trimmers when I went with Stihl. I have 2 Robin trimmers that are 8 years old with no problems but they are heavy. I was looking at Echo any suggestions.

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Do any dealeres in your area carry Redmax? If so take a look at them. I already know that my current SRM230 is going to be replaced by a Redmax BCZ3000S. What about Husqvarna,Tanaka or Shindaiwa any dealers carry these brands? Good luck

3. j.p.landscaping

j.p.landscaping LawnSite Member

You know, the more I hear about stihl motors giving out the more it scares me to buy their chain saws and hedge trimmers which I plan on buying within the next month.

As for trimmers, I use shindaiwa. I tried echo but found them to be of homeowner quality and very unbalanced. A shindaiwa T-231 will run you about $289.00 but you'll have it for years!!!

4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

j.p. don't be scared of STIHL I have a stihl saw and love it is't 4 years old and no problems at all. And just bought an FC110 and it's just a pure power house of a machine. I don't have a regular hedge trimmer just the attachment for my 110 and it works wonders.

5. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl and I do not get along. Some people I know like um I dont. I just got the echo pas 230 split shaft about 1 month ago. It has been working good except once in a while its a pest to start in the morning. After that it starts easy. I have the strait shaft line trimmer and the extended reach hedge clipper. The clipper rocks a must have if you do shrub work. It does not use much gass at all.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have 3 stihl weedeaters, two chainsaws, and a blower. None have ever been in the shop. 5 years with no repairs.

7. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

it also depends on how you run them...... if you run them at about half throttle it will last alot longer than if you run it balls to the wall every day.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I would have to ask the same question.
    What is being done to them to blow the motors soooo soon?

I'd suggest to you it doesn't matter what you buy if the people running them are destroying a good quality trimmer that quickly.

Look to the operator rather than blaming stihl.

9. RTLAWN

RTLAWN LawnSite Member

I am running the stihl trimmers as I would my Robin trimmers.
    Useing Stihl oil mix per their requirments, I do have a full line of stihl products chain saws, blowers, trimmers, pole saws, stick edgers all are stihl products, but I only have problems with the trimmers,. and i wanted to go with the best and use one brand were money is not an issue...

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have Stihl trimmer with 10 hours on them to 3000 hours on them. All Stihl's. Never had a problem with them. For 2 of the 3 to go down there is a problem you are not wanting to look at or unaware of. Someone at some point put regular gas in it is my guess.