Stihl vs Red Max trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Westbrook Lawn, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Westbrook Lawn

Westbrook Lawn LawnSite Member

I am currently running Stihl fs90 4 stroke and was considering another buying a red max trimmer any suggestions ? Any help would be great. thanks

2. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the GZ30N motor that lasted 8 hours. Burned a hole in the piston. A fluke? maybe. Told myself I would never get another Redmax trimmer. Went to the dealer to get a Shindaiwa, but he didn't have any in stock so I bought a BCZ2060TS with the GZ25N motor. This one has a maxcellerator? pump on the carb and makes it run richer when you hit the throttle. This thing is amazing. It revs very fast. It has incredible power for a smallish motor. I also hear very good things about the smallest Redmax trimmer.

3. jflazerz

jflazerz LawnSite Member

I have two GZ23N's & think they're great ,light weight & plenty of power unless you're cutting down knee high weeds. I used to run Stihls but they seem heavy & unbalanced . I would go with Red Max

4. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Redmax BCZ2460S and it didn't last long before it had a bad crank bearing. Literally less than a few days of use. I ran a quality two cycle oil and ethanol free 93 octane fuel and wasn't hard on it and just used it for weekly clients the dealer blamed it on oil since I didn't run the redmax oil so it wouldn't be covered under warranty. I now have a Stihl FS100RX and love it. Also the redmax drank fuel compared to the FS100RX.

5. midstroke

midstroke LawnSite Member

This is why im on the forum today. Been running a redmax bc2600 that was built in 1997 and she is about done k think. So i say redmax is awesome.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Much more power with the stihl trimmers but nicer throttle control with redmax and good longevity with both here