stihl vs redmax trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onerepairman, Jul 10, 2006.

1. onerepairman

onerepairman LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Can any one help? I was wondering if anyone has switched from stihl fs 80/85/90 to a redmax trimmer? Which did you switch to? Why did you switch?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I've just mentioned this recently but here goes...........

We run all Stihl equipment, we have 1 Redmax trimmer, everybody that has used it does not like the uncomfortable nature of it's throttle trigger and handgrip.
    It's got a good running engine, it's just plain uncomfortable to use in comparison to the Stihls..............
    Others will disagree I'm sure...........

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the sthils were heavy -ill balanced -hard to change the line on and most of all unreliable due to bad carbs and ing magnetos. the throttle desighn is troublesome too. i switched to husky. i have a redmax 2400 that i would like more if i got a echo type head . its fine otherwise.

4. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

Redmax 2600 and never look back. I have had a echo and they are ok. I then tried a redmax when I retired my echo. What a difference. Alot of power. beast of a machine. LawnInOrder

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

None of this has been our experience.

Heavy and ill balanced?
    Hard to change line?(redmax has the SAME type head)
    Bad carbs?
    Throttle design troublesome?
    When's the last time you used one?

6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

i have used both stihl fs-80 and redmax bczs2600 , each have 25.4 cc and each are good trimmers but my personal experience and preference i think that redmax is better hands down! also i believe the redmax has two year commercial warranty where the stihl has one. also has to do with which dealer is closer ,maintenance ,parts etc.

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Both are great trimmers , we still have several running fs80r's going on 4 years with no problems. Both weigh about the same. Its really who can give you the most dealer support when they brake down.

8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I always have had Redmax's I tried twice to introduce Stihls (great dealer) and I could not make my guys use them. They are not smooth or balanced and the heads are the pits. I've found Redmax to be the best choice. I've tried them all, and been doing this gig way longer than I should.

9. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I just had a tension spring shear on my stihl fs110r totally disabling the trimmer as the trigger sticks in the full throttle position...one in a million defect? I would have rather won the megamillion lottery...I am pizzed but guess things happen and it is not stihl's fault...the only thing that is getting me is the weight of my trimmer...11.7 pounds without the cutting attachment, string, guard, and fuel....HEAVY!...sometimes I would rather have that husky that weighs 9 pounds...I am sure it would be fine for what I do...the Stihl fs110r has too much torque for me most of the time...at this point, I am questioning commercial equipment...spend 4 and 5 hundred dollars on this crappola and it spends time on the bench...my BR600 had trigger and run problems...

10. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I've had a Stihl FS85R for a couple seasons. Works great. Very dependable engine. The FS85 is one of Stihl's most tried & true engines, similar to the FS80 pruner. It takes a lot of attachments, (power broom head, pruner, etc) and has the power to run them.

My only gripe is the horredous frickin' noise it makes. I have to wear ear protection, no matter what. It works fine, so not much point in buying something else. Although I think I would like a Redmax. When I see poeople using them (redmax), I don't hear the engine, just the string whipping around. That's whack.

hillndale:headphones: