1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

STihl weedwhacker wont stay running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnMower, Apr 29, 2003.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

One of my weed whackers is a Stihl Home owners unit.
    I’m having a problem keeping it running. I have to run it on half choke all the time or it will act like it’s running out of gas and then stall. It wont stall however if I run it at almost full throttle. No matter what I do to the carburetor adjustments, it acts the same. In fact I don’t seem to see a noticeable difference in the way it runs, when I fiddle with the crews. Although right now it’s running very rich at full throttle.

If I turn the choke completely off it runs for a wile, then its leans out and stalls, unless im running it at full throttle. I notice that it runs a little better when it has burned through most of a tank of gas. It runs the worst on a full tank. It almost seems like the gas cap isn’t breathing.

Any ideas?
  2. check to see if the crank case is leaking . run some gasket black on it and it should be fine. 2 strokes won`t run very well if they draw air through the crank case.
  3. LawnMower

What is gasket black? Where on the crankcase should I put it? Near the rear of the engine where the carburetor is?

Thank you for responding
  4. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

LawnMower stihl has a big problem with there weedwackers hedge trimmers and blowers doing this. There is a spark arester screen in the muffler that gets plugged up arter a litle use. to fix the problem take the exhost outlet off of the muffler and use a pair of plyers to pull the screen off then replace the outlet. we took one of ours in and it took them like 2 min to fix it. so i asked them ehad they did. u do not need the spark arrester in there they run fine without them. we take ours out as soon as we get any new stihl equipment.
  5. LawnMower

Ya I don’t run spark arrestors in my Stihl equipment either. I took it out, so that’s not the problem. Thanks for the response though.

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I have having the exact same problem with my old Stihl trimmer!! :mad:
  7. mower17

mower17 LawnSite Member
    from la

Did you check to see if any of the carburetor gaskets were cracked or worn out. Maybe cleaning and rebuilding the carburetor might help. I think they use a diaghram in the carburetor, if that gets stiff and brittle, she won't run right.
  8. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

Look at the fuel line for major cracks. Take it back to a Stihl
    dealer for free replacement.
  9. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

LOL Just had 2 stihl hedge trimmers that are 2 years old start doing the same thing
  10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Yeah, i get so frustrated with it. I think im gonna switch to all Husq equipment, or Shindy.