Stihl?????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tazmanian turf cutter, Dec 29, 2006.

1. tazmanian turf cutter

tazmanian turf cutter LawnSite Member

how does everybody feel about the stihl line of products. my father always had stihl since i can remember chainsaws though but i hear that their products are tough. also what about scag mowers how do you all rate them?

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i really like stihl chain saws and have 2 blowers but i hate their timmers. the biggest con about them is starting them .

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My stihl products are very reliable, the trimmers are a little heavy, and the blowers(older models) were a lil under powered, but always crank and ran fine.

I have a scag tiger cub and all I can say about it is .........I love it. Nice and reliable

wayne

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All of my Stihl equipment is running fine. 1 trimmer, 2 blowers, 1 edger and a set of hedge trimmers. I did have to change the fuel filter to a heavier one in my BR600 and put a carb on the stick edger (it's old, 2000 year model).

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I have switched all of my handhelds to Stihl as my Redmax & Echo stuff has went kaput. I won't be switching back to anything else if that tells you something. Echo actually lasted longer than my Redmax stuff in the same situations.

6. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

I've also looked at and in process of changing over to stihl...
    The few I had were a bit to start but ran forever....

Don't have a scag ...yet

7. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the process of switching all of the handhelds to Stihl. I just got the Stihl Hs-45 hedge trimmer, and it fired up straight outta the box in 2 pulls. It is a little heavy but well balanced.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

All my stihls start reliably and run like a top . . . if you think the equipment is too heavy then work out more.

Equipment to date includes a trimmer, edger, hedge trimmers and 361 chainsaw, although they may not always start on first pull within 3 they are running and ready to go.

I use a redmax 8000 backpack blower and it runs great, starts on second pull cold, first pull warm.

9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Just my ywo cents but i think you can't go wrong with scag. They are just awsome mowers! I havent had a bit of problems out of mine and the cut is second to none. As far as stihl equipment is concerned i used to use stihl and last year switched to red max and I am never looking back they are like night and day. Redmax equipment last longer and starts easier. At least that my experience. nothing but scag and redmax for me.

10. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 Scag mowers and 6 pieces of Stihl hand held equipment. I'm always looking at other operators set-ups, but haven't found anything I like better than what I have already.