Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stuntmanlogan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. stuntmanlogan

stuntmanlogan LawnSite Senior Member

Over the winter i purhased a new stihl fs80r and im wondering if i should have gone with the fs90r becasue i noticed now about the four mix. And im wondering what exactly the 4 mix is and if thats what i should have gone with. Thanks
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

The 4 mix is like a hybrid 2/4 stroke. It combines all of the best benefits both types of engines can offer. Weight, emissions, simplicity, and power is what stihl was after when designing the new engines.

I have an fs110 trimmer that's about 2 years old already. It will start cold with one pull and no choke or use of the primer. The thing is awesome. Even though I was mad that they did away with the old 2 strokes. these new engines really grew on me.
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I like the fs80 series. I'd buy more if I could. Tony
  4. M&M Mowing

M&M Mowing LawnSite Member

I love the fs80's I dont think you made a bad choice at all, I have two fs80s that dont run anymore since they are about 7 years old now and I now have the fs110s and 90s but dont think they are any better than the 80.
  5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have two, does anyone want mine??? I like redmax shindaiwa better.
  6. stuntmanlogan

stuntmanlogan LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks i really like my fs80 i dont think i maid a wrong choice when buying a stihl but i was just wondering a little about the 90
  7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

How can you not like the more powerful machines? FS 80 R is rated @ 25.4cc's, FS 90 R is rated @ 28.4cc's & finally the FS 110 R is rated @ 31.4cc's. The more power the better, the FS 80 R is the same power as my old Echo that got replaced by an FS 90 R.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i love my stihls

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I love my stihl stuff. I have two FS-250R two stoke beast trimmers. I also have one FS-100RX that I think is very very weak. But of course compared to the 250 anything is weak. I love stihl and will continue to buy more of it.
  10. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The FS80 is a great trimmer. I'm happy with mine (6)and I get great service from my dealer. Even though the 80 and 90 are the same price($299) I'm staying with the FS80 as long as I can. The FS90 has more torque, but I like the higher rpm's of the 2cycle. It's more of a personal choice rather than which one's best. RedMax,Echo and Shindawia are all good quality products.My Stihl dealer also sells RedMax, but I'll stick with Stihl.