Stiihl Fs85 Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BASIC, Jun 11, 2003.

1. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

I fought the same problem on a FS85 off and on for about 3 weeks and finally found the problem. I though it was a carb problem and that it was starving for fuel, but after cleaning the carb a half dozen times and checking the crankcase seals I finally removed the insulator block that sits behind the carb. At the bottom of the cylinder, behind the insulator block there is a small hole that was clogged up. After running a piece of wire through the hole and opening it back up, I reassembled the unit and it has run like a brand new one since then. Hope this helps you. It was a very educational experience for me. Now I'll check that first when I get a machine in that won't idle good but has good top end performance. Good luck!
  2. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Hi guys,I got a call today from the service tec,it wasn't the cluth springs,it was the carb,it has to be replaced.The cost will be about $100,it should take abvout a week.I'll let you all know when I get it back,BASIC.
  3. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

I picked up the FS-85 today,it seems to work better than ever before.Thankyou all for your help,BASIC.