1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stiihl Fs85 Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BASIC, Jun 11, 2003.

1. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

I fought the same problem on a FS85 off and on for about 3 weeks and finally found the problem. I though it was a carb problem and that it was starving for fuel, but after cleaning the carb a half dozen times and checking the crankcase seals I finally removed the insulator block that sits behind the carb. At the bottom of the cylinder, behind the insulator block there is a small hole that was clogged up. After running a piece of wire through the hole and opening it back up, I reassembled the unit and it has run like a brand new one since then. Hope this helps you. It was a very educational experience for me. Now I'll check that first when I get a machine in that won't idle good but has good top end performance. Good luck!

2. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Hi guys,I got a call today from the service tec,it wasn't the cluth springs,it was the carb,it has to be replaced.The cost will be about $100,it should take abvout a week.I'll let you all know when I get it back,BASIC.

3. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

I picked up the FS-85 today,it seems to work better than ever before.Thankyou all for your help,BASIC.