Stik Edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-N-Garden Guy, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I currently own a Crapsman walk behind sidewalk edger with a briggs on it,But was wondering what you guys think of those stik edgers and what brand is good , I'm pretty parcial to Stihl but always open for suggestions.I'm sure they are easier to handle but have never used one,the walk behind kind tends to tip over in some places and not so good for inside beds.I use the walk behind to edge blue rug junipers along side walks but I thought a stik edger would be good to edge these shrubs on the inside of beds.

Would I be ahead by purchasing a changable head type to accomidate other attachments. Thanx

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

check out--www.edgit.com--:) :)

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Stihle FC85 stick edger. I believe its the best currently on the market. The design of the edger and guard keep it from clogging. The Stihl with the metal clutches never has problems getting thru the toughest situations.

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Redmax stick edger. I have not found the right blade performance as of yet, but next season I will try some different ones and find the right setup for my needs. It's nice to be able to fly through, rather than walk behind the edger. And you would add another bulky machine for the already cramped trailer, where as the stick edger mounts in the trimmer racks.

If your doing a lot of edging I think it is worth the money to get a stick instead of the walk behind.

On the other hand if you are doing edging that has a lot of over-growth the walk behind would be best the first time through because of more power.

5. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

LNG Guy, I'm doing the same thing as you and have the same problems. I've always wondered the same thing since I've never used the stick kind. I always thought it would hit the concrete when trimming the sidewalk and be hard to maneuver. I plan on buying a Stihl pole set-up for hedge trimming and wonder if the edging attachment is worth the cost. Hey guys, is the stick attachment quicker than a conventional edger?

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Many times faster. As fast as you can walk it does the edging.

7. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

65 Hoss, what about the concrete? Does it present a problem and is it easy to make a straight cut at walking speed?

8. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I use an echo 2400 and love it. I have only used a walk behind once and found it to be a pain.I'm sure they have there uses like tough stuff that is thick but for weekly upkeep you'll love a stick edger.As far as what brand to buy is your preference. Like I said I use an echo 2400 same as my string trimmer.It's nice to have two pieces of equipment that share almost all identical parts.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Concrete is not a problem. That is what its made for. Edging concrete. I can see where it might worry you not ever using one before, but its very easy to keep a straight line. I've had several moron employees that could handle it without any problem.

10. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Stihl FC 85 and love it.
    It's one of my most valuable tools. I can't edge very well with my trimmer, so the stick edger is great. Once the initial edging is done, you can edge as fast as you can walk. I have experimented with different blades and really like running the star blades from j-thomas.