stilh 4 mix problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by texpro, Sep 30, 2007.

1. texpro

texpro LawnSite Member

any one having trouble w 4 mix power heads mi rings go bad way to often i have 3 of them and they have all had to be replaced and have never had any trouble w/ old 2 cycle power heads if stilh is listiling go back to 2 stroke

2. Laurentian

Laurentian LawnSite Member

I have had many problems with the 4 mix trimmers. I have a FS110 and FS90. I have a old FS85 2 cycle which gets picked first because it never has problems other then cleaning the spark arrestor. I was at the Green Expo in Mpls in January and talked to the sthil rep. He said all feild reports were possitive and he was surprised I was having problems. "I also have a 4 mix 550 br blower which the first gave lots of problems". I had the engine replace after about 6 hours of use and no problems since. If I could for the trimmers I would buy the older 2 cycles before the 4 mix.

3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

8 pieces of equip with 4mix, no engine problems so far. I am satisfied.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of oil, fuel and mix ratio are you using? This is the first I've heard of a problem with rings.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

isuspect the wrong oil also.

6. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

We have two fs110's and a br600... no problems whatsoever.

7. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I have 110R and 130R no problems. picking up a br600 next week. use quality oil and mix it on the rich side. Always shake up can before filling.

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

The rich side?

9. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

ya, whatever you do don't skimp on the oil when your mixing it. and the story on shaking the can is because of the ethanol they've started using in gas now. Ethanol absorbs water, water doesn't mix with oil. so if you don't skake the can every time right before you fill your machine you could potentially get a straight shot of ethanol in there and dramatically shorten the life of the engine.

10. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I use fifteen pieces of 4-mix equipment..never a single incidence of ring failure.

After I started my conversion to 4-Mix in 2004 ,my only problems were coils going south on two FS110 trimmer's, under warranty.

All of my 4-Mix's have shown, power, quality, and reliability .

I agree with the other posters that the problem could be oil related..and agree with the last poster, always shake a can containing two stoke mix before refueling.

I personally only use high grade Amsoil or Stihl ultra when I'm in a pinch after having had run out of Amsoil.