still a ? after searching "striping"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

I did a search on the best ways for striping and i still need one question answered.
    Whatever it is that you use, whether its chains, mud flap, etc, i still am not sure as to the width to make it. Do you make it the width in between your tires or the width of the deck itself?

2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

The wheels do the striping for you as they roll so I just made my mudflap the width between the wheels. I have a JD 727A Z-trak and found a bar underneath to attach the device to.

It works great and I have noticed that the striping gets more obvious the more times I mow the lawns and 'train' the grass to lay over.

Also I do a criss cross mowing of the yards. I mow it every time at a 90 degree angle to the last time I mowed it. So it ends up looking like a criss cross pattern or woven.

I'm brand new at this so just learning and I am sure others are alot more experienced at this and have better advice. But, the lawns look better the more times I have mowed them. We have bluegrass here and I mow them at 2.75 to 3.00 inches.

3. WAGS LandL

WAGS LandL LawnSite Member

Make the striper the width inbetween your tires. The tires do their own striping, but reverse your pattern every week. Going
    over the same pattern week in and week out will darken the stripes but it will also lead to the grass not being cut evenly because it is not being lifted properly by the mower. Take this for
    what its worth, but I learned the hard way.