still blowing clipings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare18, Aug 2, 2006.

1. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

I can not believe this summer... its first week of august and today had to blow clumps in yards becuase they are growing so fast mowing them once a week is hard to keep up with them... Idk how you guys who do this full time plus hardscape work can get all it done... Anyone else feeling the growth like we are in central new york?

2. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Same boat here, grass not stopping growing this year. Man, the humidity sucks.

3. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

better than last year.

4. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Love summers like this ... never gona turn brown... but man its so so humid... idk how you guys in the south do it day in and day out...

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If the grass is too high and your leaving clumps, try cutting it higher next time.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Agree 100%!! So much mowing work was lost last season, but only a couple of skips so far this season. And, Sept 1 (weather change and rain more likely) is less than one month away. Maybe we can keep the mowing pace for another month....?

7. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Boy, can hardly remember last summer when we had that kind of weather down here. We dried out big time this year. I put my mulch kit back on today to take care of the leaves that are already falling. Sad thing is most of the leaves are coming off of trees that are dying. Also even after a few moderate rains the last two weeks a lot of the grass is too far gone for the rain to do any good. Another reason I can go ahead and put the mulcher back on.

Anyway, enjoy your rainy season with having plenty of work. Too much rain won't put you out of business like a drought will.

Yes, the 100 degree temps plus the humidity have been tough this year. I can handle the regular work, mowing, trimming, edging, blowing and such. I try to stay away from the shrubery prunning while it is this hot. That is just pure torture in this heat.

What I don't think I could take would be the winters that you guys up there have to contend with. Too cold for too long and too much ice and snow.