1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Still can't decide rider or walk behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bstroman, Dec 3, 2006.

1. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

Guys, hate to beat a dead horse, but i just can not decide between a walk behind or rider. I sold my craftsman and I this time I only have 4 customers. I would love a rider, was really looking a the mini fastrak. However, a 36 inch hydro walk behind with velke might be the more durable option. I guess my questions is how fast is the 36 hydro compared to a lawn tractor like my crapsman 42 I just sold. Only other thing is one of my property is one acre, rest are half acre lots. If I can I might spring for a 48 hydro walk behind, however they are not much less than small zero rider. HELP< PLEASE BEFORE I GO INSANE. *****anyone using a mini fastrak for 5 or so properties. Could use it for a few years then sell it if business grows.
  2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

i think it just depends on your market. if you plan on growing you should consider what size yards you are going to go for. like you said a smaller rider would sound like a good option. have you looked at the exmark phazer? seems to be resonable in price. close to a walk behind. i think they are 34 or 44 inch cuts
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

walks my not be as fast as the rider but they do everything and the rider is limited.
  4. Eurosport

Eurosport LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Exactly. I would start out with a walkbehind and when you can afford to add a tractor then you will have a perfect set-up. Make sure you measure the gates in your area. A 48 inch w/b is nice but if it does not fit then you are screwed. In many areas a 36 inch w/b is the perfect tool to have.
  5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the other guys....it depends on what size yards you want. My niche are yards that rarely go over 1/4 acre...most are fenced, and thats why the Quick 36 is the best tool I own.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Riders turn slower -- issues with turf tarring --
  7. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

Well how hard is a hydro walk behind to reverse with velke, remember I am comparing it to a lawn tractor. Next, how long would it take to mow an acre with a 36 with velke.
  8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

1/2 hour give or take.
  9. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

how is reverse
  10. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Get the right sulky and reverse is the pull of the handgrips. Or a push of something else. With the right sulky you can mow very fast very well.