Still FS110 Trimmer Line Advance Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boxoffire, Jun 14, 2005.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Folks, I bought me one of the newer 4-mix FS110 models made by Stihl in my first year of doing this and have been pretty happy with it. I have run into a very annoying and unacceptable problem with it however. The cover the you snap on the head to hold the spool of trimmer line in the unit came loose one day while riding down the road in my trimmer rack on my trailer and it fell off some place and was lost. So I called dealer I purchased from and bought a replacement one for $9.30 plus tax and snapped it on and went out to continue my work with it. However, ever since I bought this "Stihl" replacement cover they said, my line WILL NOT advance when I bounce it on the ground as before. As you can imagine how frustrating this would be when you must stop every time you need more line to come out for trimming and have to take the cover off and unwind line manually so I can resume trimming again. What a pain! Unacceptable. It appears that the new cover doesn't allow the spring loaded spool to come out far enough to get a good bounce on it to enable this process to work on it's own. I will go back and ask dealer about it also, but was wondering if anybody knew of a good solution to this should they not be able to help me out? Has anyone run into this sort of thing? I can't take it much longer in this heat. It's bad enough to have to do this work, but this unit cost enough that I shouldn't be having to deal with this. Is there a head I can buy that you can replace this one with that will resolve my problem?

Thanks for any input at all.

Adam

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

3. TGIB

TGIB LawnSite Member

I would take the trimmer back to the Stihl dealer. Let them run it and figure out why their repair part is not allowing the tap N go head to work right.

4. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

If you only replaced the cover, go back to the dealer and get a new spool. Tapping the head on the ground to advance the string causes wear on the spool button and on the face of the cover. At least once a year I have to replace the spool because the button in the center wears down. Once it is to short, the face of the cover makes contact with the ground before the spool is pushed in far enough to let the string advance. To check if your spool is worn down to far, (with the trimmer off of course) grab both strings, one in each hand and pull tension outward on them. while pulling out on them push the spool button into the face of the head with your thumbs till the strings advance out. If the button has to be pushed in below the face of the cover (or very close to it) before the string advances, the spool needs to be replaced.

Mike

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Is this the 25-2 Auto-Cut head???

If so it would be going back to the dealer.
    I have never had a single problem one with that head.
    You shouldn't be having problems either.