1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Still have crabgrass after I fertilized?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gscone, Apr 28, 2004.

1. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

I applied the Step 1 Scotts with crabgrass about 3 weeks ago and I noticed that I have some area's of crabgrass. Should I wait any longer to apply something else, or go for another form of crabgrass preventer or killer? Thanks!!
  2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure its crabgrass? Make sure it is before applying more chemicals.....
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is "Step 1" a preemergent, or contact herbicide? If preemergent, then it is possible that the crabgrass was already growing, so it wouldn't kill it.
  4. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

I used the Step 1 Halts with feed. Not sure whether I need to go with a 2nd app, so use a liquid spot treatment.
  5. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

there was this landscaper who i used to be his sub for fert/weed control on his lawns. the guy was always calling me complaining about crabgrass. I'd go out to the lawns and find no crabgrass.

One day i met him on a lawn that he had complained about the crabgrass. It was a bluegrass lawn. It had some tall fescue clumps. He said see...right there...you cant see that crabgrass? On another lawn, a blue/rye mix, he had clumps of velvet grass that he was also calling crabgrass.

I explained to him that crabgrass was a specific grass and that not all grasses that he didnt like was crabgrass, he said "if I dont like it, it is crabgrass!" I told him if my name was Tom and he was calling me Tony, good chance I wouldnt respond to him. Just because he calls tall fescue and/or velvet grass crabgrass, doesnt make it crabgrass and it wont respond, or be affected, by crabgrass controls.

Are you sure you have crabgrass???
  6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a simple question: How COULD he have crabgrass? It isn't even May yet. You would have had to have had a heat lamp on the area since March. I am sure you have had recent frosts. It AIN"T crabgrass. Read a book.
  7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

yeah turfscape, thats sort of what i was trying to say as well (was trying to be nice) alot of folks call anything that they dont like 'crabgrass'. fact is if he does have crabgrass, and he might, it would be just germinating about now. I'm in zone 6, as is new york (zones 6 & 5 i think new york is) bit early, i agree.
  8. If nyc stands for new york city, I don't it is crabgrass, since we in central va. haven't seen any germination yet, and the SOIL temps have only been high enough for 6 days!
  9. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am just starting to see crabgrass starting to germinate along concrete surfaces in bare areas. The seedlings are about 1/4 of an inch if that.

10. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

Here are some pics. Hopefully someone can identify the type of weed...Thanks...