Still have crabgrass after I fertilized?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gscone, Apr 28, 2004.

1. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

Here goes....Pic 1

dsc02280.jpg

2. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

Picture 2....Thx

GC

dsc02282.jpg

3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

poa annua or Annual Bluegrass

4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Upon further review this is not poa annua , this is blue grass going through its normal spring cycle of producing seed heads. This occurs when the grass is growing at its fastest time of the year. And no the seed is sterile and will not produce new growth . My question is , were you applying this product to your lawn or someone elses?

5. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

I applied the scotts halts and I am a homeowner, not an LCO. What dp you guys suggest i put down now? I'm seeing pockets of this weed throughout my backyard....thx!

GC

6. robertsturf

One more thing about crabgrass, it does not germinate until the soil temperature is 55 for 5 straight days, and I doubt that your soil temperature is that high yet. Might be something to check also. In the midwest a good rule of thumb is have your pre-emergent down by April 15th.

7. robertsturf

The turf will grow through this stage on it's own , it normally takes about 2 weeks to go through it. It is not a weed , it simpy is the type of turf that is growing in your lawn. Be patient it will grow out of it!

8. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

RobertsTurf-

Thx for the info...I guess I need to wait and allow the lawn to grow through its cycle.

GC

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Crabgrass is now at twoleaf stage in sunny spots here.

10. crabgrass will start germinating after soil temp reaches 55 degrees at the 3 inch depth for 3 consecutive days at sunrise!!

Bare area's, south facing slopes, and along paved area's, the soil will warm up faster!