Still have crabgrass after I fertilized?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gscone, Apr 28, 2004.

1. gscone, I THINK your pic's are of poa annua, which can be an annual or a perenial. BUT, ROBERTSTURF could be right, BUT it's not crabgrass

2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

If the seedheads disappear in a couple of weeks, it was your turfgrass going through its natural cycle of reproduction.

Poa annua, on the other hand, seems to produce seed constantly, and will become discolored when you experience hot weather.....

3. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

Is it suggested that I lay down a weed killer at this moment or wait 2 weeks and see what happens? Thx

GC

4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I would wait 2 weeks and see what happens.

5. Comanski

Comanski LawnSite Member

Nothing you buy at Home Depot will kill poa annua(annual bluegrass) except Roundup. I have about 2oo acres of it on my golf course and it is difficult to control. I actually do everything I can to keep it alive. Wait two weeks and the seedheads will be gone. Next year try Embark growth regulator to inhibit seedhead production.

6. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

comanski, do you do a fall preemergent? that doesnt help somewhat control poa??

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO the pictures show Poa Annua. Fairly certain of that.

In Georgia, we minimize Poa Annua by applying Pre-emergent in early Fall and then again in late January. It does not stop it all, but controls MOST of it.

I've used Image to kill what few plants survived the pre-emergent, which is safe with semi-dormant Bermuda.

8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

My thought was Image was OK with active Bermuda.....
    Poa Annua or Bluegrass? Did we ever decide? It is a seedhead issue?

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used Image to treat Poa Annua in Bermuda in the past here. The Poa Annua will be unsightly as it dies.

10. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked with Heather Nabozny at Comerica Park for 2 seasons. She sticks flags in the poa annua as she mows. Then I would take a golf cup cutter and cut it out, replace it with a cup from the bullpen, and fill the bullpen hole from sod that was laid out on plastic in the drive way. I mention this because it illustrates that chemical control methods are very problematic or innefective altogether. Some types of tall fescue have ben developed with a tolerance to roundup, which enables the turf manager to apply it to the turf at low concentrations and control the poa. For most turf managers, however, tall fescue is not an option.