still have mixed feelings on what to buy =(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GracesLandscaping, Mar 25, 2009.

1. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ok i have asked many many questions over the past 3-4 months about which mower to buy. i had my heart set on a hustler, then changed since there isn't a local dealer and i really like my dealer. then i was set back on exmark because my dealer has always had them and i have ran many of them and like them alot. now im considering gravely because my dealer carries them and says they are the closest thing to an exmarks "cut quality" that im going to find. (he carries exmark, gravely, ferris, and cub cadet) demod a ferris and loved the ride but it doesn't have that exmark cut! never been on a cub and dont really plan on pursuing that one. ahhhh any of you that are familiar with Gravely and Exmark please PLEASE please chime in and help me out i have to do something soon! I currently have a Dixie Chopper but im getting rid of it. I know some of you will say Scag and maybe even toro but those are out of the question because i do not care for the local scag/toro/echo dealer and i have seen way too many people complain about their toros. anyways enough of my rambling any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also i will be buying a 60".... the exmark is a 08 60" Ultra Cut with 28 kawi... the gravely will be similar but with upgrades such as the deluxe seat....

2. GracesLandscaping

ok i just talked to the hustler dealer just for curiosity about pricing and i can get a hustler z 60" with a 26hp kawi (or 24 honda) for 7595 out the door... the left over08 exmark is 8000 plus tax... the hustler super z with a 31 kawi susp. seat and flex forks would be 8895 out the door... ahhhhh confusion!!!! and the gravely with a 3xhp and 60 inch is something like 8600.... Please help!!!!! lol

the hustler dealer also carries bobcat and he said i could get a predator pro with a 27 hp for 7995 out the door and says the cut quality on the hustler and bobcat is a coin toss. i know nothing about bobcat and really dont need to add anything to my confusion lol but any help from all you guys that might have a little more knowledge on these machines than i do would be awesome!

3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

You pretty much answered your own question! While every one on this site has their opinions about "best brands", almost all will agree that dealer support, reputation, and location plays a vital role in the decision-making process. Exmark leads the industry. They are a subsiderary of Toro, Inc. The 60" Ultra-Cut with 28 Kawi will serve you well if your dealer is local.

4. GracesLandscaping

yes, i realize the exmark will serve my needs well as i have ran many of them over the years for friends or whatnot. im actually currently helping a friend out by mowing for him while he is doing taxes and hes allowing me to use his mower which is an 08 exmark 35 vanguard (overkill) 60" Triton. I do not mow "all day every day" but i do have several residentials and a church with cemetary. I have just heard alot about the Hustlers and im almost tired of seeing everyone using exmarks in the area (4 out of 5 have exmarks, and then a few John deeres or kubotas, and every now and then a scag or toro) ann i would kind of like a change... but im unsure... just wanting a little help on deciding and thanks for your input!!!!:usflag:

5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Dont try to save what amounts to less than a thousand bucks. You will kick yourself later for not buying what you really want.

6. mdawson

mdawson LawnSite Member

There is likely a reason all the others are using Exmark, don't you think? Don't buy something else just to be different, set yourself apart in another way. Do a better job than they do, drive a cleaner truck, wear a uniform, save a little kitten stuck in a tree, but don't skimp on the mower to "show them"!

7. GracesLandscaping

so are you saying the exmark is more than likely my best bet?

also i just spent about 25 mins on the phone with the hustler dealer, he is an extremely nice person and doesnt mind spending time answering ?'s (that is the only thing my dealer lacks he isnt very personable ive just grown to understand how he is over the past 6 years) and this hustler dealer must be good because he says he moved over 200 units last year alone... thats what he says anyways but i have been to his shop and he did probably have at least 50 of them in the shop still in crates :/

KEEP EM COMING!!!!! =)

8. mdawson

mdawson LawnSite Member

I think you could do much worse!

This is typical. The Hustler guy is trying to gain your business so he will do "everything right". "Your dealer" already has your business so he might be a little more passive with you. Ultimately you just have to go with your gut. Which one do you keep going back to? You know, first you think that Mower A is the best because..., but Mower B has this. If you keep coming back to the same mower you might already know which one you want.

9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Yes the Exmark is the best. Everybody compares their cut to the Exmark cut. There is a reason for that. I have a 66 and a 48 TTHP. Chances are as a solo, you wont even have a problem that needs fixing for several years unless you beat it to death. Ive never had a regret with my Exmarks and I looked at Hustler, Grasshopper, Wright, JD, Skag. Hustler didnt even make the short list with me. All of this is as always, MHO.

10. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler is the best and sounds like you got a dealer trying to look out for you. Sounds like a dealer worth investing in you is a dealer you should stick with. He's working hard to get your business and will work even harder to keep it! Pm with any questions on comparing I sold Exmark and Hustler!

And a Super Z at those prices w/ flex forks and taxes. You'd just be silly to turn those offers down. Don't miss out on those opportunities.

Hustler Super Z 21cc pump vs Gravely 16cc pump. Hustler stainless hydralic lines w/ lifetime warranty vs Gravely rubber lines 2 year at best warranty. Triple plated deck w/ lifetime warranty vs Gravely not triple plated and no lifetime warranty. No comparison.