Still Looking For A Lastec Articulating Mower Owner !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJB, Jun 18, 2006.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Is it just me or does anyone else like the idea of an articulating mower? A mower that bends with the contour of the lawn, but does not scalp. Everyday I'm riding on my Lazer Z I find myself wishing the mower would go over the burms etc without it lifting one side in the air missing grass. If there is anyone running a Lastec Articulating zero turn mower please comment on your experience with it so far. I am looking at a 61" this yr, maybe a 72" later on. www.lastec.com As far as price I think they would be worth paying a little more. What do you think ?

2. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

I know a guy that runs them every day, he likes the cut alot and he cuts football fields with them and they do a great job. He says that parts are expensive and that the pully's go alot more then he was used to with other types of mowers. He has the 7 foot one. It looks like a nice set up, the dealer for ontario is pretty good with deliveries as well, but isn't close, so you would have to know what you are doing. Hopefully you have a close dealer.

Good luck,

Jon

3. MJB

from Wa

Hey thanks for the info. I would not have a dealer close but I am sold on the mower if it mulches decent. I'm looking at a 61" I would like to go 72" but without being able to demo both I will probably go smaller. I was told the 61" are bullet proof . The 72 won't be out for a few months. I've not had dealer support for any mower I've owned. They are all to far away 70 to 500 miles. I've always managed to get parts quickly and fix it myself. So I'm use to that. I hope these catch on. 15 yrs ago I bought a Walker and Grasshopper and Exmark a few years ago , nobody else was using them here yet. Now everyone is running them. So I think these will catch on too if the mower are as good as they look.

4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I think I talked to you before about them.... but my g/f's uncle runs one of them (72")... I have talked to him about it.... He loves it....

What was your question about them?

6. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

They are great mahcines... we have demoed them on golf courses Ive worked on... one warning the things are load.. sound like airplanes but they cut great and run great!!!!

7. MJB

from Wa

Alarsh, You were about the only one who knew much about them. I am a little surprised that more companies are not using them. I was hoping to find someone who has the commercial 61" mower would talk about it or show more pictures. After owning several different zero turn mowers, I am sold on this articulating deck, but it sound almost to good to be true, so why don't more people have them other than the golf courses ?
    Why is everyone still buying the the same ole thing? Exmark, Toro, Hustler, Scag, GH, whatever. Is it soley based on price, or does Lastec just not have enough credibility in our industry ? I'm tired of the same old thing I want a mower that will work well on any lawn. I've used all the mowers above at 1 time accept Hustler, so I'm not saying anything bad about them.

Dashund Grasshopper doesn't have the articulating deck, and I've been using them since 1993 Good mowers but when you have uneven lawns with little burms, all over I want to be able to mow with a 61 " or larger and not scalp. This year I've finally learned that I make more money by mowing more lawns, not the extra services, and I won't use a small mower any more than I have too.

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I think more people don't run them because of price and some people are unsure of the durability or future problems of the machine.

9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The only experience I have with the Lastec articulating mowers are pto powered pull behinds. Just a wee bit larger than 61". The smallest we ran was 12'.
    I had nothing but problems with the unit from day one. However, this was back in the mid '90s and I have heard that since then the mowers have gotten better.
    I have seen the retro fit units for lightweight fairway mowers where the reels were replaced with rotary units for rough use. Made a great mower due to ease of maintenance and maneuverability. Still a bit bigger than 61" though.
    I don't operate articulating mowers as I collect clippings on most of my sites.

10. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still waiting for my demo on a 72". They are a lot of money, $ 18k. I would like to see if they are worth the extra money.