Still Raining !!!! What do you do ????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GardenDoorNW, Jan 7, 2007.

1. GardenDoorNW

GardenDoorNW LawnSite Member

I'm starting up this year with 8-15 accounts, basic mow, edge, trims. I live in rain country (Oregon). We don't get much snow if any, just a lot of rain. I will be doing my accounts while holding a full time job. We will get some breaks of rain, but I know they won't always fit my schedule. Obviously I will take every advantage of rain-breaks we get.

I was wondering what most of you do at your accounts during long periods of rain. Do you offer any special services that may sell during rainy months?
  2. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I put my rain jacket on and sing mowing in the rain
  3. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

hope you like workin sundays. i only had one rain out saturday in 06. i spent the time at creating thank you postcards for my 10-20 customers costed 12 bucks for 250 cards. the resonce was great! they have 250 free business cards too and lots of other things you might need all for free but you pay shipping and handleing of course. its great and i love it. upgrades are extra...a great website and easy to design your own cards!
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I schedule everything so I have an extra day if needed. If I'm booked every day, I put on the rain suit.
  5. topchoice

topchoice LawnSite Member

Kudos to! I love that site and get all of my business paperwork there- from business cards, to business magnets, postcards, notepads, you name it they got it and the pricing is awesome- especially after you start ordering from them- the discounts start pouring in! I usually do the same thing on rain days- anything to make the customers appreciate you as a business and an individual. I sent out Christmas cards from vistaprints to all of my clients and my Christmas present from them- a bonus- was well worht my time!
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If your backed up against the wall like I am with customers your booked all week with no rain delay days. Depending on how hard its raining we just keep mowing. I always keep mower blades sharp so they will cut good in wet grass. If its rain with lightning or very heavy rain then we start when sun comes up and work past dark to get done.
  7. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing in the rain can be fun if the grass isnt to overgrown and you got boots and a good shirt.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I would put all your customers on a flat-rate monthly fee...they pay the same each month regardless of number of cuts. It all evens out usually....if you get behind a cut, you'll probably be doing more work the next time to make the place presentable.
  9. GardenDoorNW

GardenDoorNW LawnSite Member

I like the flat rate thought. We get 2 - 3 weeks of rain at a time. Thanks for all the feedback, even the smart ones :dancing:
  10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I take the day off, or do other things. If I get backed up so what who cares thats normal anyways, I cant control the weather and reasonable customers realise that. the ones that don't, I drop. 70% of my lawns cannot be mowed wet. Some landscapeing can be done in the rain.