1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Still spraying Ammonia Nitrate mid-June! Why?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tamadrummer, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the local fert/squirt companies here that does the treatments for about 5 of my thursday accounts are still spraying ammonia nitrate. Now these are regularly irrigated lawns and had just finally started to slow down from the last shot of AN when I thought to my self, jeez I hope they use ammonia sulfate this time or even better, just potassium sulfate for the summer but NOOOOO, they hit it with the hot stuff and in one week I am cutting 10" of top growth off.

This is NOT TrueGreen doing this but a local family owned and operated company that has been here treating their whole lives, you would think they would know better but holy cow, I am having to triple cut these places to get control of the clippings and also get below transport height for depth.

Just venting but man what a pain in the butt! I talked with the drivers today at Sonny's BBQ and they said in about a week they will be going over to the sulfate but why would you want to use the other stuff at this time of the year? Is it cheaper?
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BINGO we have a winner.

Plus A.N. is Acid forming which helps break lose minor element that are soil locked in Fla. Calcareous soil. They don't have to cut the grass so the lush growth that Chinch bugs love looks awful good to the customer. The BOOM & BUST effect keeps the customer coming back for more frequent treatments.

BTW. You B!tched that my PM box was full ad then never send a PM.
  3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry I am doing it now......:hammerhead: