still use measuring wheel on mow estimates?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowingIL, Apr 17, 2013.

1. MowingIL

MowingIL LawnSite Member

who still uses a measuring wheel on mowing estimates? not only for professional appearance but more accurate pricing. who goes off eyeballing it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

This year I have been eyeballing it and using google earth. For me, the biggest thing that hurts me is figuring out how long it is going to take to do the edges. Really the best thing is to use a measuring wheel which I will be getting next year. Guessing is not super accurate.

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you are always eyeballing it to some degree. you can't measure things like how long to edge, trim a steep hill, how many obstacles to trim around, or other situations. yard size alone is only half of the story.

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I use a measuring tool on google maps. I hardly ever drive to do an estimate.

5. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I eye ball it then usually add $10 lol

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

be careful with google maps. you can see the lot on there but things like hills don't show up. it looks like flat ground and when you get there in person it's a steep hill. :laugh:

i just use google as a guide. i look at the map and get an idea about how big it is and such but when i go in person there's always things that you didn't notice looking at the map.

i big problem with the maps is they are like 5 years old or more in some cases. the lot can look totally different than it shows on googlemaps.

7. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

I don't feel like I'm guessing by looking at. I see enough yards so I know what I want make and how long it will take us. I'm a good guesser.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I recall google earth, not maps, has a topo feature

9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Wheel it.

Need SF for fert as well as other pricing.

Also when two customers live next door and one complains why he pays more money you can acurately state the difference in property size.

10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Laser rangefinder is a lot easier.