still use measuring wheel on mow estimates?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowingIL, Apr 17, 2013.

1. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yep this alway works for me also. I just know what kind of a mess I'm getting into these days.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here I never guess I know what it is
    I use to walk it off in the 80s but after first 10 yrs walking I know what it takes

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Which is why if I got estimates to mow my lawn, they would range from $20 to $80. Everyone has different size eyeballs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Also why some guys make it, and some don't.

Those rolling wheel things look very professional and all. But as stated, they don't replace experience. Walking the property is an essential part of the bid. A few minutes spent on the front end can prevent an awkward situation if you under bid because you were too lazy or busy to walk it and see what's really there. Once I give a price, I stick to it. So yeah, I measure, but that's only one part of the equation. Hills, slopes, number of mature trees, gate size, irrigated or not, estimated trimming and edging time. Even parking and yard access for material delivery are worthy considerations.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Right when I get out of the truck and look at the lawn I am already pretty much set in the price and how long it will take. I take out the wheel for my fert guy, and also so I can keep records for what im charging for what size lawns, even though it really isnt used to price. Im not a SF guy, I go by time.

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Most estimates for properties under 15k to 20k sq.ft. are done by online property size. Anything a half acre and over I will normally go and look at, but it's usually just to make sure there is nothing completely out of the ordinary. I can quote an acre fairly accurately. I have never used a wheel and never will. It takes too much time to take a look at lawns under a certain size.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I eyeball with a peek at Google Earth or Bing prior to my visit.
    Mowing only with no chance at doing apps, waste of time to measure.

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I just walk around the lawn and see how long i think it will take us, then price it off of that. I don't measure or any of that crap. I usually have 3 different lawn sizes, a $40 dollar lawn, a $50 dollar lawn, and a $60 dollar lawn. Most standard size lawn's fall somewhere in there.

9. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

We do the same and have had no issues.

findlotsize.com is good for measuring. I can't imagine showing up and running a wheel on every estimate we do. We would never get any work done. If it's a huge property I will spot it on lotsize.com just to get an accurate measurement but for most residentials, you can walk them and know how long it will take. Like someone else already said property size is only part of the information used for an estimate.

10. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Measuring takes time and time is money. If you can't eyeball it then you re losing this game. Like some one else said, as soon as I drive up to a place I already know what price I'm going to tell them. I just hmm and haw about for a couple minutes, ask the boundries, walk around the house and tell them and drive away. 5 minutes and another one on the list. Never been turned down in 15 years so I guess it works.