Still waiting on the leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Nov 9th I have everything set to go to bang out my clean ups its below 40 degrees already and when I scouted more then 80 of my accounts today only 3 were ready. Talk about frustrating I just want to start already and those damm Norway maples and red oaks and beach trees seem to be mocking me. I guess my yard is going to move to the top of the list. The part that is bugging me is the length of the leaf season I am starting to think I may have as little as 3 weeks before the snow ends it.

I am thinking I need to have the biggest baddest fall clean up tools I can get since the seasons are so short I need to move on the leaves as fast as I can to avoid upsetting my customers. The real money is in the fert and the lawn cuts for us the clean ups are really just part of the job nothing to look forward to but god I wish I could do some already before it gets any colder.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

lucky man, I have probably only 3 weeks left...hoping for 4

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Went from a warm spell a week ago to this cold spell how quickly the weather turns on us

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We sometimes pile the leaves then do the pickups with the sucker and dump truck after dark.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

I don't think I quite got the point across I am waiting for the leaves to finish falling from the trees I can not make piles if the leaves are not on the ground yet. Its the part that sucks about being on the coast line.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Have you ever had the problem where you couldn't do leaves because the snow came early?

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Yup we often get cut off with a week or more jobs to go.

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

They've been falling pretty heavy here. I do most of my clients twice and this round is mostly the bulk pick-up. I'm trying to get as much as possible now, because December is usually a battle against the weather. We have gotten heavy snow on December 5-6 the last two seasons. Fortunately, it melted off and we were able to finish most of the clean-ups.
    Kelly's- I take it you wait for most to come down and do one clean-up?

9. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

All the leaves are off most of the trees here, there just some stubborn ones that stay on.

10. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Just about done up here. One more yard and thats it. Show me the SNOW!!!