1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sting trimmer question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hootsma, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Hootsma

Hootsma LawnSite Member

I'm right handed and my Stihl trimmer turns counterclockwise. I usually walk around a house trimming counterclockwise so that I can walk forward and trim comfortably. Because I am walking in the same direction as the spin, the trimmer does not seem to cut nearly as well as when I reverse direction. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just going senile. Do any companies make a string trimmer that rotates clockwise or can you easily change the rotational direction?

My mind tends to wander whilst it is baking in the hot sun, weed wacker in hand, for hours on end, and this is the crap it comes up with.

2. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Same problem here except I use Shindaiwa. Don't know of a solution though. I just walk kinda sideway and backwards. Have gotten pretty good at it so it does not bother me. LOL on the crazy thinkin thing. I am the same way.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Many years ago, I realized I had to learn to use my trimmer (then a Shin, now a Stihl) from both sides. I was spending too much time walking backwards so that the trimmer was rotating away from the edge. I am naturally right handed (motor under right shoulder, throttle control with right hand), but after some practice, learned to reverse the unit, and be just as effective. Now, I switch easly and often, rather than turning my body, or positioning myself differently around a bed, tree, or whatever, I switch the trimmer. I usually work with the trimmer head pulling material away from the edge - sometimes work opposite when against a block wall, timber, or anything solid.

In all fairness, when I need to be very precise and detailed, I still work righthanded.
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Some people say to walk clockwise and hold the trigger with your left hand. I've tried it but, I can't contol it as good. I'm right handed and for the longest time I was backing into stuff because I was walking backward.
    Sometimes, I still do it on areas that need to be extremely precise but not for long distances.
  5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I always have and always will trim comfortably and naturally, from left to right. Use .080 line (I use Sufix megatwist .095 which is even narrower than .080 round). It's sharper thank round .095 and will cut great no matter which direction you cut.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One solution would be go to a curved shaft trimmer. Another would be that as you walk, if yuo are going left to right around objects, keep moving the head in back and forth strokes. This is like doing the place 2-3 times, though. Other than that, it would be just train yourself to use the trimmer the way it cuts.
    Quite simply, move counterclockwise around islands of grass.
    Left hand down, and I am right handed. I always move around the property (islands of grass) counterclockwise so it is always right to left (usually walking forward down curbs and walks), and I go around objects clockwise, (again right to left) unless it's things like Spruce trees or beds that have mulch coming out of them that may have pine cones and/or debris that can fly out. Then, I go around those counterclockwise. The only thing in moving left to right, is that is what it does, is in fact lay the grass DOWN as it goes along, so you have to keep an eye on your trimming more closely as to not miss any. Also, in moving around the islands counterclockwise, and right to left, you are always pulling the grass out into the lawn after it's cut, - not accumulating it around the edges of structures and such. Also, if you DO go clockwise (left to right), what do you do when you come to a driveway or sidewalk? Stop and walk down to the ends and come the other way? If I saw one of MY people going this way and pulling the grass out over the drive or walk, this would QUICKLY be corrected. I don't edge these properties just for some incompetent to come along and spoil the edge and/or stain the concrete with grass. It's all in the formula. There is a starting point, and a finishing point for every property. With experience, you get to the point that you can look at a prop., and plan this all out, inCLUDING break-off points to do other obstacles.
  7. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with my stihl. I have a some cheap weedeater that cuts the same way I walk. I can out trim with the weedeater than the stihl for speed. As for ditches and serious weeds, thats a whole different story.