Stinking Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jim dailey, Sep 27, 2004.

1. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who had a pile of green grass dumped close to their property. They have a short back yard that borders a wooded area. Someone recently took a ride with a 6-wheel dumptruck and dumped a load of freshly cut grass, about 2 weeks ago. The smell is driving them crazy. Short of picking it up, what can be done to get rid of the stink. Someone suggested covering it with lime. Any suggestions from you guys? Thanks for your time.

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Does the compost belong to your customer? or the neighbor?

I'm guessing it belongs to the neighbors. There's really nothing you can do, except have you customers talk to them first. I would,'t be touching anyones compost pile without consent.

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Lime will help, slightly. It neutralizes the pH and slows decomposition. That's why you see them spreading it over bodies in mass graves. I know, morbid but it's the truth.

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to spread it out as thina s possible, so as not to have one big pile of steamy goodness. This may help to reduce the intensity of the smell, and allow more air to penetrate the debris. I learned the hard way how powerful grass clippings were, when I had a whole tarp load wrapped up for 3 days in 90 degree heat. i about passed out when I unwrapped it! :dizzy:

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll bet it was pretty hot!
    Crawdad

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If the pile is in fact on their property then they can either have it removed by you are else spreading it out will help quite a bit. I would not touch anything not on your customer’s property.

Gravely_Man

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if I were your customer I'd get ahold of the neighboring property owner and tell him to move that grass pile pronto!

dumping that grass pile on the property line creats a nuisance that is dangerous as well as obnoxous and probably illegal in terms of state law and local zoning.

one of the dangers is that flies from maggots will be breeding in that stuff for months to come spreading the myraid diseases they carry.

BTW--fwiw--any lime application considered would have to be hydrated lime or quicklime. not ag-lime.

GEO

8. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

It happened to be raining (drizzling) the night I opened up the tarp. The steam pile that rose up from my truck looked like Godzilla used my poor chevy as an outhouse!

I laugh now, but I was in the shower for an hour trying to get that "juicy juice" green slime smell off of me! :laugh:

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Twins, I know that feeling. Sometimes my dump trucks don't get emptied for 2 weeks in the summer. If we get some rain, the "grass juice" is just brewing under there. When I dump the truck, the juice is just running out and it is ripe! God forbid you get any on you, you will smell it all day :cry: