Stinky matter! Solution will help all.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robert payer, May 23, 2002.

1. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for an explanation of why immediately after sheering shrubs the operator will have a terrible distinct smell on him until changing clothes and showering. It is embarrassing to have to go in public with this smell what is it? It is clearly not a fuel scent from the hedge clippers. My thought is that it can only be the moist fluids of the plants. Can any one explain this? Please also let us know if there is any thing that can be done to avoid this smell from tagging along all day?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of shrubs are producing this odor?

3. Is it dogwood? There's a reason for the name!

When I was in forestry, we would leave pieces of it under the seats of the guys' trucks in the highway division. Some took a long time to figure out where the smell was coming from :D

4. robert payer

To answer the type of shrubs pruned. All types. Every time my co-workers and self prune we stink after a couple of hours. Today Taxus, Burning bushes and Viburnum of sort. I have found that most shrubs will leave the scent.

Seasoned nurserymen do you have an answer?

Plymouth,
    Do you know how the Dogwood earned its name?
    From its Bark!

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Are you trimming in a pasture?

6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Sap. Many plants contain volatile oils that fly all over the place when you're shearing them. These are used to attract insects & animals that assist in the proliferation of the species in question. The volatile compounds can also repel damaging insects, fungi, or animals. Anthraquinone is a good example.

Steve

7. robert payer

Steve thank you for your insight on this curious question.
    Your post was reasonable, informed and appreciated.

LawnSite: Moving us all to the top of our craft!