1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

stinky rotten grass in bed of truck....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Aug 16, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

So the other week, Matt parked one of our trucks at my mom's house, it's a dead end, and he wanted to get one of the trucks out of the way. We then went on vacation.
    Today my mom calls me and says, "someone left Matt a note inside my door." I said, "huh? what's it say?" She says, "hold on, i'll read it to you."

"I'm sorry to inconvenience you, but could you please move your truck. The contents do not smell that good.
    Thank you."

So I call Matt on the cell, and say, "that truck you have down my mom's house, what's in it?" He says, "i have old grass in the back.' I said, "you idiot, why'd you do that? Someone left my mom a note in her door, and they want the truck moved." He says, "you're kidding me, it's not even in front of anyones house' I said, "well, you are moving it today, I don't want people thinking i'm part of that." He says, "aawww Jodi, you know how busy I've been, I just haven't had time." I said, 'well whatever, just get it cleaned out today.
    Well he just stopped home now and said, "give me a bottle of that lemon PineSol, I'm gonna make it smell real lemony for these people. and btw, I would have respected them more if they would have signed their name."

So the deed has been done, grass is now cleared out of there, and all is well in the neighborhood.

Anyhow else ever leave grass in their bed too long and have someone complain? :hammerhead:

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I leave it in mine all the time. Doesn't stink THAT bad. If it's parked in the street, tuff luck!

3. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

I have an LCO friend who works part time at Lowe's. One of the fast food restaurants next door holds a car show in their parking lot every saturday night. The show has grown steadily over the years and the cars are now invading the Lowe's parking lot and have refused to move. My friend had, without realizing it, parked his truck (with a full load of day-old grass) right next to the car show.

One of the organizers of the show rudely complained about his stinking truck, demanding it be moved. Hoping to rid the cars from his store's parking lot, my friend now loads his truck to the brim with rotting grass and parks it right at the edge of the parking lot for all the show-goers to smell.

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

My wife complains all the time about it.

I like the smell of it.

5. JG Landscaping

JG Landscaping LawnSite Member

If you let it sit long enough it doesn't stink anymore...:laugh:

6. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

If you let it sit even longer it will catch on fire... Cool!!!

7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I set the woods on fire the otherday while bush hogging. I was doing a bunch of lots inside a residential neighbor hood. And I seemed to discover that if someone lives next to an empty lot they think they have the right to go dumping their yard debris on the empty lots that do not belong to them.

Well i ran over a huge pile of grass clippings and look back and its smoldering. All of a sudden flames start to appear. I guess it had been getting nice and hot since its been in the 100s with the heat index so when I hit the grass clippings it turned them over and the hot stuff got some nice oxygen and started burning.

Last I heard from the POA the owner of the home got a fine for 5,000 for illegal dumping.

Just for all of you who may dump clippings onto property that doesnt beling to the people you cut for.

8. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Grass clippings get hot and smell just like pig "s**t" if left in the right place for long enough. I finally cleaned my grass out last week and the containers still have a hint of it.

9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Worse part is when it rains on it,then sits in the sun.You get that brown juice that drips out.Get it on your hand and youll smell like it for days.And the flies just are attracted to it.

10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Hah, that's the worst!