1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stock for core aeration tines

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by lawnstudent, Mar 18, 2002.

1. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about replacing the stock tines on my pb aerator. Currently they are 3/4" tines. I thought that downsizing the tines to 1/2" would get me deeper penetration with the same weight. Do you guys think that 4143 carbon steel tube stock would make a good choice? I was looking at 1/2" OD, .065 wall thickness. Will this be strong enough in a 1/2" tine? I have a friend with a machine shop that can perform the mill work to produce an open sided tine from tube stock. We don't have the equipment to take flat stock and roll it like the original stock tines. Is tube stock a bad idea? Do we need to split the tube stock like a rolled tine is split? I assume the tines would need to be hardened. Any advice? If these were available from the origninal manufacturer, I would have bought them there but they are not available. Looking forward to your reponses. Thank you!

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the reason the 3/4 tines are rolled is so there is a taper built in. So that once the cutter has plugged the soil there is room for it to be pushed out by the next plug. Here is an idea take a 3/4 tine and tack it to a pipe handle see how much pressure it takes to plug and to replug. Make proto 1/2 tine and do the same. This may save making 48 nonuseable tines. If you like proto put a couple on machine and test. What aerator do you have? I have seen specs for 1/2 tines but have not seen them. Most aerators are set up for 3/4 , 1/2 probably are 3/4 at top.

3. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Gill pull behind. Did my first job yesterday. Today - snow & cold! I like your idea of the pipe handle. Also I like the idea of building a smaller number of prototypes than the full 48. A single wheel holds 8 tines, though I have not given up on locating a source for 1/2" tines first. After the local steel shop suggested I use 4130 steel alloy, I got the price. Boy do I have sticker shock! Thanks for the feed back.