Stock up or in a Jam?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandscaperPro, Feb 3, 2007.

1. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

What is your philosophy regarding parts and supplies i.e. filters, blades, trimmer line? Do you generally stock up toward the beginning of the year? Or do you wait until you need an item before purchasing?

*** Use the Coupon Code "LAWNSITE" when checking out to recieve an ADDITIONAL 5% OFF your order, just for being a Lawnsite member!
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I only stock up on things that I know will be used right away. trimmer line, 2cycle mix, motor oil...etc. maybe blades, but I usually have 3 sets per machine anyway. Other parts are so common that it really doesn't make sense to stock up on them.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

napa is only 5 min from my house and i can have most things that day if not the next
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Just like stated above, I just keep string, spark plugs, oil, Stabil & that kind of stuff on the shelf. If I need more, I go get it.
  5. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i keep deck bearings, spindles and pulleys etc. i can usually fix most items right then and be back up and rolling.
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a packrat. I like to stock up on things.

I'm a mechanic by trade, so I can fix most of the stuff myself. Only helps to have stuff on hand if I need it to reduce downtime.
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I keep blades, two stroke oil, fuel filters, fuel line,edger blade, chain saw chains, starter rope, trimmer spools, and trimmer line on hand. Everything else I can get local when something needs to be done.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i do like most above except have most common snapper parts on hand as something is always breaking on them. i always keep an extra trans belt for my toro walk behinds too. lesco is only 1 mile from my house but my toro dealer is a 30 mile round trip. i can get everything local except i get my robin and lawnboy parts via mail. mauryama parts i cant get at all anymore!
  9. double e lawncare

double e lawncare LawnSite Member

We buy from J-Thomas Dist.- from April to Sept. my foreman has authority to spend $200 a month. So at the end of month if we only need $50 in parts, we stock up on $150 worth.
    We really stock up on Stihl trimmer parts. Mowers- blades, spindles, belts, bearings, filters, etc.
  10. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 of such things as in belts pullys filters blades ect so if i break i dont have to run to dealer or if its raining i can work on the machines and never have to leave the shop . Besides since my old dealer lost the scag line the new dealer never has much in stock , i dont want to have to wait till the next day to get a Damn belt or filter