1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

stocks for ira

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by richard2, Jun 27, 2000.

1. richard2

richard2 Banned

what's everyone buying? i just bought a bunch of DRUGSTORE.COM, what funds are other people looking at?

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

richard,<br>I buy value stocks, and time the market for corrections. You pay short term capital gains tax but keep hitting the 10-20% gains and out.<p>I tried the long term approach, doubled my money on AMTD and CPQ, only to watch it go away. Short term approach works for me now.<p>I Dont play Funds or shorting or buy on margin. Good Luck.

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

It's an IRA!<p>You can only put in 2000.00/year, 4000 with your spouse and you don't take it out until 59+.<p>I started when I was 24 and our IRA's have done well, but it's still too little money to buy individual stocks. <p>Buy funds, you pay the fund management +/- 1% to pick and trade those stocks for you. You think you can beat these top fund managers over 30+ years? I doubt it.<p>Don't get me wrong, I do have an ameritrade account that I trade with, especially during the off-season, but I leave my retirement with professionals.<p>American, Janus, Kemper, Franklin Templeton and other fund families are all good investments.

4. Nilsson Associates

Nilsson Associates LawnSite Member

70% in mutuals, spread between the top 5 funds, make sure they don't all pick from the same pile of stocks, 10% high speculation and 20% in cash stashed under your pillow.

5. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

Phillip Morris; They own Kraft foods, Miller Brewing, And of course they mfg. cigarettes. They also purchased Nabisco Foods just this week. Also look at municipalities.

6. CA Enterprises

CA Enterprises LawnSite Member

JANUS...JANUS...JANUSS...!!!!!!<p>Need I say more. Check their website. Great performers!!!!!<p>Adam:)

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Stocks in an IRA are an accounting nightmare (or so I have been told). For IRA stick with mutual funds, type will depend on your age and risk tolerance. The closer to retirement, wisdom dictates the more conservative the investment. Myself, I have 25 years before I can touch my IRA so its divided among global funds and aggressive growth funds. <p>Bill

8. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

I recommend an Index fund for retirement. Janus Funds are also great performers. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida