1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stolen equipment procedure - What to do.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by topsites, Jun 5, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I believe this applies only to commercial equipment and not home-owner stuff such as Craftsman, etc...

First of all, you should always write down the serial number of all your equipment and keep this on file. But, since owners never do this...

Where I buy my equipment, the dealer keeps on file the serial number of any and all equipment I purchase until either myself or the dealer goes out of business (indefinitely). Check with your dealer on this, and maybe find another dealer if your current one does not do this beyond the warranty period. Personally I find this very important because:

When a piece of equipment is stolen, go to your dealer and ask them to please enter the serial number of the stolen equipment in the computer as such. Once that is done, IF (or WHEN) that piece of equipment EVER goes in for a repair at any 2-cycle repair shop OR dealer store anywhere in the USA (maybe Canada too, dno), it will show on the computer and the equipment will be confiscated and you will get a phone call.