Stolen equipment!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Penscape Landscaping, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

New BR600 stolen in broad day light on main street! I can not believe no one seen this happen. The person had to open my bed cover and walk down the street with it!!!!!! I dont know but I believe the pd needs to step it up in my area. THis area is getting bad!! ANyway had to rant! ANy one with info in NC-Catawba County!

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

that sucks... someone stole my brand new br600 last year.... good luck finding the a-hole that took it!

3. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

wow that sucks, i hate people like that. If you ever find them beat the crap out of them for me. Hope you get it back

4. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I will!! This 6'4 300# boy will beat them till the cops pull me off!!!LOL I fill sorry for anyone caught still from me! I lost a stihl interchangable 4 years ago it sucks!

5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking about painting something on all of my blowers and hand held equipment in bright neon paint to make it easy to identify. If it is stolen and the dumb a** tries to sell it, maybe someone will take notice. I wish there was a better system for tracking stolen equipment. I have always said there should be a way for dealers and repair shops to track stolen stuff by serial number. There needs to be a database shared via the Internet so when you buy a piece of equipment the serial number is entered in the system. If stolen, you could report it to a dealer and they could flag it in the system. The serial number of every piece of equipment brought in for repairs or parts could be entered in the computer to see if it has been flagged as stolen. It sounds crazy, but I think it would be fairly easy. It would take all of 1 minute to do this process. I don't know how effective it would be, but it just may help recover a small percentage of equipment.

Hate to hear about your blower. It hurts, I know.

6. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I second marking all your equipment with some sort of permanent mark in a very conspicuous place so that even if they try to paint over or cover it up it will be very hard to deny. That goes for mowers and trailers as well...

7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well the frame was cracked and being held together with a zip-tie, and the tube was being held together with elec. tape on mine. so that should help me spot it. god help the person when i do spot that thing...

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i had a brand new like 2 week old shini eb630 stolen from me last year, out of my truck that was backed down my driveway under a leather tonnue cover, under a spot light, lol i know it was someone in my neighbor hood who knows im a landscaper.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They took a br-420 from me years ago, wasn't much but at the time the 550 was almost out so it was the best we had.

Nowadays I run a big nasty chain through all the loops and handles with a padlock. That thing stays clicked, every yard I used to hate it but I got used to it, and it also runs through the hoop of a 70-some pound toolbox.

They can still take it so long they're willing to take ALL that's attached to the chain and it won't stop the determined thief with bolt cutters, but it does stop the opportunist. And I'm a firm believer that 90% of all crimes are crimes of opportunity.

But yeah, a national serial number db would be nice.

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Go to your nearest Stihl dealer, report the unit as stolen.
    You'll need at a minimum the serial number and a decent description.
    Usually the Stihl dealer will alert the rep to advise all of the other dealers that this piece of equipment was stolen as well.
    Also, armed with the serial number, fill out a report with the local cops.
    Supposedly they will watch the pawnshops as these places are allegedly supposed to fill out a form on the pawned item with the serial number plus id on the dude/dudet pawning the item.
    If you have the time, check out the local pawnshops yourself - if you find the unit, grab it while in the store, tell the pawn broker it is stolen then call the cops.
    I have had hand held equipment stolen from me in the past, I did this and I recovered the items stolen.
    Also, you may have coverage on your commercial liability insurance covering theft - you then can claim it here as well.
    The people that stole from me have all received jail time and what I did was go to the local jail, speak with the jailers (well actually invited them all out for several beers) and these dis#$@% were in much worse shape in court than they were at the time of arrest.
    Hey, this works and if you become friendly with the jailers, they talk to the cops then you really are golden because these guys/girls then can put a friendly face on a few beers when needed.