Stolen Equipment!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Woke up this morning...hoped in the truck and took off without knowing that my trailer (enclosed) was half empty!. Got to my first account and noticed some A hole had ripped off 2 back pack blowers, 1 stick edger & 1 string trimmer. They had cut the locks off of the enclosed trailer and had a field day unloading it hope they have fun with it!!!!. I made my police report and hope to talk to the insurance agent on monday to see what we can do. Any tips of filing a claim with my commercial liability company?

2. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

ive been researching this topic a little bit latley. what type of locks did you have?.. i bought these oval type circular locks that i believe are supposed to be bolt cutter proof. i also put a boot on the tongue and am going to be installing an alarm system on the inside of my 20' enclosed. the alarm was only $60, and I am skeptical of its abilities, but hopefully I will never have to find out.
    sam

3. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

There are fewer things worst than a theif...

Child mollestors and theives are leaches on us that are trying to make a living. Sorry for your misfortune, hope the cops get the creeps that ripped you off.

4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I hate the thought of that.

I installed simple but effective 12 volt alarm system on my 7x16 enclosed. It is battery powered from inside the trailer, so it isn't dependent on the truck.

Battery to two pole Key switch. Switch to "allways on" pin switch. Pin switch to 12 volt car horn installed under trailer on frame. Car horn back to ground on battery.

If someone tries to open either door, lets out pin switch which sets off car horn.

Hope this might help someone.

5. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I have a inclosed trailer because in Durham they will pull up on the job cut your locks on an open trailer take what they can and be gone befor you can run back to the trailer. Do you keep the trailer be side your house? Also in Durham you have to becarfull in the parking lot of home depot.

6. LLS-turfman

LLS-turfman LawnSite Member

bunton guy, That's a bad day, I'm feel'in your pain. I hope the local men in blue catch an punish the rat trailer buster in a back alley somewhere. Best case senerio is you still lose the cost of your deductable. Hope tomorrow is a better day...

7. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Bull Dog that Stays with my Trailer at all times during the day he rides in the back of the truck and at night he sleeps under the car port with it. Best security system money can buy

8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to here about your loss. Find then pull out the saw cut there hands off. I found someone about 6 years ago at 3 am out back of my rig i came out with a 12 ga shot once in the air. boy could he run fast. and never had any loss again.

9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

this is why its worth it to spend the money to have a heated and air conditioned shop and alarm system.........I can save money by buying cheaper open trailers

10. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

If this is possible for you, at night back your trailer up so it is almost touching (within a couple of inches if you can do it) a building and the doors cannot be opened at all.