stolen fuel yet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Sep 1, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody have fuel theft yet? Happened to us last night sometime.

We left three of our diesel's in the shop yard, which is surrounded by a ten-foot tall chain link fence.They whoever they were, just about drained all there dry.
    Those gas locks are useless; all three were laying on the concrete .Looks like i'm going to have to put some barbed wire around the top, and turn a couple of bullmastiffs loose to run. They must have, had to do a good bit of work claiming over, and back again, over that fence.
    Gas is 339 here diesel 299 ,to much to have somebody stealing it.

2. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Man that is real unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have any time of alarm system on your vehicles? Even if no one is around the noise would probably scare them away anyways.

3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It doesn't surprise me one bit. I was the first to say, when conversing with buddies "Soon we are going to hear allot about fuel being stolen, or be victimized by it personally".

Now that it's something that will cost the average commuter $200-$400 per month it's become a comodity that everyone values very highly since we are all so dependent on it.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

No alarm system,but good idea,never needed one before.Normally the trucks have all been in the bulidings.The buildings are overflowing,and we are in the process of putting up another garage.In meantime it looks like barbed wire,bullmastiffs,and now an alarm system lol.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

You could also just put a motion detection light out there, or I have also seen motion detector alarms for your yard. You can adjust the sensitivity to that area and to things like bigger than a dog for example. Ya, its unfortunate, kind of rediculous actually! Good luck!

6. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

from the size of you, I would go next door to get my fuel! :)

But, people do what they want. In general, there probably isn't a safe place for it unless its in a locked basement...even then??????

7. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Not yet and im not giving anyone an oppurtunity either. I cleaned out my truck box last night and thats where im storing it now...locked

8. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Yeah barbed wire wold be a good idea cuz I bet I could get over a 10 foot fence in less than 10 seconds. BUt they stole diesel??? I hope they had a regualr gas car that would be funny.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder how long it will be before we start hearing about tanker trucks being hijacked. I would not want to be driving a big rig at all anymore.
    DANGER! DANGER!

10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont know how far your barn is from your house or what kind of drive you have but you might try one of those alarms that you put on your driveway that alerts you if someone is coming onto your property.that would work good on a one way in/out type of drives.