1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stolen Gas Cans

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob Minney, Jun 13, 2002.

1. 3 weeks ago I was tired (read lazy) and did'nt unload equip. Next day when I went to grab a gas can both were gone. Was happy no tools gone- there was a 4 week old PB650 in its holder next to them. Got some new ones-so last night I forgot to unload cans-gone again today.
    I was thinking that moth balls disolved in gas could mess up an engine? just a myth? or any other ideas cause I think I'm going to bait them with another set of cans.
  2. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

SUGAR works wonders in a engine.
  3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Sugar. Just make sure you dont forget an d use the cans yourself.:(
  4. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

Now that is funny. hehe
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a couple of gas cans(full of gas) stolen a while back. Now I lock them up. It sucks that you should have to do this but I guess as long as there are scumbags in this world, it is necessary. I had thought about contaminating the gas with something but with my luck, I would end up using it by mistake. LOL
  6. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Moth balls will ruin an engine if you use enough. I have heard that they like ether. It will make the engine run hot because of the octane. My autobody teacher said when he was a kid him and his buddy put about a whole box of moth ball in his buddy's dads car, said that ole flat head screamed like a raped eagle for a couple minutes then burnt up. I would sit out some gas cans full of these, you'll find out real quick who it is.
  7. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Or possably you might just want to warn them with a can full of water with a little gas on top.:angel: Naah screw the bums go with the suger but they might suger you back.:blob2:

8. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Sugar, water, 2-stroke gas, all will put a regular gas engine out of commision.

Better yet do something that will mess with their mind for awhile as well..... Put out a gas can with regular gas and a water/ sugar mix. On the side of the can where they wont notice for awhile tape a note that says
    " I figured it was you stealing all my gas cans, so I hid my movie camera next to the cans. Now I have you on tape and I will be sending one copy to the Police and one copy to my Lawyer unless my cans are returned along with $100.00 to replace the gas and the extra cans I had to purchase"

I think mind games, and the worry that comes along with them would be far worse for this thief.

Keep us posted
  9. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

The ONLY thing I leave on the trailer all the time are the gas cans. I'm going to go check and make sure they're still there....:eek:
  10. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

I have had two gas cans stolen. One at the gas station. I went in to pay and when I came out one of my cans was missing. The other was while I was mowing an apartment complex. Guy pulls up in his truck takes the can from my truck puts it in his and takes off. I would have given him the gas if he would have just left the can there was only about 2 gallons of gas left in it.