1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stolen gas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagwildcat, Aug 25, 2006.

1. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i dont know if you all remember a few weeks ago i wrote about a kid coming to my home asking me what i payed for my equipment or not, but this past Tuesday afternoon i stopped to fill up the mowers so i didnt have to leave early the next day, so Wednesday i start my route on the second lawn of the day the rider stalls, im like wtf!!! so i try to restart it, doesnt start!! i crank it over until the batt. starts to die. what the heck, i know there is gas in it, so after a while stumped, i decide to check for gas, both tanks were empty!!! the one time i leave my machines on the trailer overnight someone steals my gas !!! where i live no one ever touched anything at all, i live in the boonies, nobody even locks there doors around here and now i have to worry about people stealing my gas!!!! what have people come too!!!
  2. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

that sucks
  3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the bright side of it all. They left your mowers .
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

How did they get the gas from the tanks? Any evidence of tampering with the drain, or did they siphon it out?
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Leave a brand new 2.5 gallon FULL gas can out as bait. Too tempting to resist especially for someone motivated enough to siphon.

Yes, a FULL gas can. But not full of gas. Maybe SALT water with about 1/2 gallon gas. The gas is lighter so it will sit on top.

Whover the maggot is, his car or moped will grind to a halt. And the salt water will make him wish it was the old "sugar in the tank."
  6. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I was gonna say maybe they'll run it in something that's supposed to have a mixture and mess up their equip.... coulda been worse they could have gotten the mowers....
  7. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

i like that idea.....a lot
  8. M and S Lawn Care

M and S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

how was it taken out? were the hoses off the tanks? I've been known to take gas from one of my w/b tanks, into a 5 gal, and then into the mower that needs gas. not too hard. I usually dont bring regular gas along with me because the mower will last all day, and for 2-cycle, i just have a small can that i bring out.
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would so love for someone to steal my gas, most all of my fuel contains off-road additives consisting of some lead which clearly reads 'WARNING do NOT USE in catalysed systems' on the label.

But most places it is difficult to find leaded add-on substances, meanwhile I'd be all over that salt water plan, neat idea, even straight water would do dandy as most thieves use this in a car, you have an idea what it takes to get water out of an automotive fuel tank? Yes, I foresee good times for the thief.